The Weakest Link

When Dartmouth's Trustees announced the Student Life Initiative two years ago, they issued a challenge to the Greek system. They told houses they would need to clean up their acts in order to survive. They told them to improve gender relations, control the abuse of alcohol and become more inclusive. Despite these warnings, however, it seems that at least one house has not taken this charge seriously.

We should not rush to judgment in the case of Zeta Psi fraternity. The Judicial Committee and the Office of Residential Life have just begun their investigations into the newsletters, and the fraternity is entitled to a fair and complete inquiry into the charges that may be brought against them.

However, the publication of the newsletters speaks poorly of Zeta Psi's commitment to many of the changes the College is demanding of the Greek system.

The actions of this house also reflect poorly on the entire Coed Fraternity Sorority system and on Dartmouth as a whole.

While the recent incident at Psi Upsilon fraternity was unquestionably inappropriate, it involved only a few brothers, and the house's president quickly issued an apology and internally sanctioned the members involved.

The Zeta Psi newsletters, however, seem significantly more widespread than the actions of a select few -- representing instead an apparently deep-seeded acceptance of this behavior by the majority of house members.

Only last year the Greek system received a wake-up call when the College suspended Phi Delta Alpha fraternity's recognition on charges of improper rush procedures, toleration of drug use and alcohol and hazing violations. Phi Delt's punishment was yet another statement from the College that the Greek system must play by the rules.

While Zeta Psi has the right to a fair adjudication process and should not be prejudged, if these newsletters reflect a regular activity on the part of the house's membership, then such a house has no place in the Dartmouth community.

Once again, a constituent of the Greek system has embarrassed the rest of the community. The Trustees are serious about their challenge. The Greek system must rise to it.