Coed houses may quit Greek System

At least two of Dartmouth's three coeducational Greek organizations are currently considering seceding from the Greek system -- a move that could have serious implications for the future of the groups and the Coed Fraternity Sorority system itself.

A member of Alpha Theta coeducational fraternity confirmed to The Dartmouth yesterday that secession from the Greek system is "something we're considering pretty seriously."

Dean of Residential Life Martin Redman, Coed Fraternity Sorority Council President Shihwan Chung '02 and Coed Council President Fred Hurley '01 all said they are aware of ongoing discussions within the coed houses as to their future within the Greek system.

Chung said one house in particular is examining its options. "From what I understand, there's a house that is seriously considering seceding from the system," he said.

Both coed leaders and Chung indicated that the coeducational organizations are not happy with the "status quo," citing membership concerns and the ideas that being Greek is both detrimental to the houses' images and is not best status for the houses in their current forms.

Redman, however, indicated that the College would not encourage the coed houses to pursue secession at the current time to become undergraduate societies.

Considering the Future

Sources told The Dartmouth that Alpha Theta and The Tabard coeducational fraternities are currently the two houses most closely examining the idea of seceding from the CFS system.

"I've had conversations with members of [two houses] about how they fit or don't fit," Redman said.

"I think it's been something that members have been talking about with each other," Alpha Theta President Nina Basu '02 said. "We're talking about what our future is within the Greek system."

Basu declined to elaborate as to what stage such conversations are in, but said, "When we talk about things, we don't talk about things purely academically. Alpha Theta has always kept our options open as to what we are as a house. We encourage self-criticism and self "assessment."

The Tabard coeducational fraternity is also seriously contemplating leaving the Greek system, according to several sources who spoke with The Dartmouth.

Although she said that withdrawing from the CFS system has been a topic of conversation, Tabard President Erica Schwartz '01, however, declined to comment further. She did admit, though, that Tabard is currently considering rewriting its charter.

Redman said yesterday he has been in contact with the leaders of two coed houses -- which he declined to name -- that were considering leaving the Greek system itself, not just from the CFSC as Delta Delta Delta sorority did last spring.

Phi Tau President Jamie McMahon '01 said that while his house considered seceding from the Greek system somewhat seriously at one point last year, it is not currently a major topic of discussion.

"With regards to leaving the Greek system, I don't see that as something that we're thinking about," he said, noting however that the topic would probably resurface if both Tabard and Alpha Theta were to secede.

Reasons

Many who spoke with The Dartmouth yesterday said the primary reason the coed houses might leave the Greek system is a sentiment among some of their members that the organizations would more appropriately be listed along with undergraduate societies Amarna and Panarchy.

"I think right now a large part of it is they feel that the Greek system does not necessarily fit their needs," Chung acknowledged. "Right now, they kind of feel like they're marginalized."

A major issue for the coed houses is the feeling that some other members of the CFS system do not strive to fulfill the ideals of Greek life.

"We are frustrated when Greek houses don't live up to the standards of what is Greek," Basu said.

A related concern for the organizations is the fact that misdeeds by other Greek organizations reflects poorly not only on the offending house but on the entire Greek system, including the coeds.

"As a whole, I think all houses are definitely looking around and considering how the image of the Greek system as a whole affects their image," Hurley said.

Membership is also a major consideration for all three of the coeducational houses. Although they generally have relatively few members, all still have physical plants to support and must abide by programming rules that also apply to much larger organizations.

With rush moving to Winter term next year, several coed leaders said the organizations' may have to deal with strained budgets during the fall.

Implications and reaction

Both CFSC president Chung and Dean of Residential Life Redman believe that it is important for the coed organization to continue as part of the Greek system, at least for now.

The secession of any house from the Greek system would be a "huge blow," Chung said. "It would be a great loss to the Greek system in large part because the coeds bring a different perspective. I think that we would lose an important voice."

Chung was familiar with the concerns expressed by coed leaders and seemed to be anxious to address them.

During a meeting with other members of the CFSC earlier this week, Chung worked out a list of steps on the council will be taking to deal with the perceived problems.

One such step will be the addition of a new part of CFSC meetings during which the leaders of the separate Greek umbrella organizations, including the Coed Council, can bring up topics of concern to the houses they represent.

Redman's emphasized the fact that both the Greek system and the undergraduate societies may soon face major changes as two Student Life Initiative committees are scheduled to complete reports by the end of the year.

The Greek Life Steering Committee will probably submit their report around April 1, he said, while the still unformed committee that will be addressing undergraduate, secret and senior societies and affinity housing will complete work next fall.

"We're in an environment that is obviously going through a lot of transitions," Redman said. "I'd rather they make an informed decision about whatever they want to be, and wait till we have all the information in hand."

Given that, Redman said the College would be disinclined to permit the organizations to leave the Greek system and join the ranks of recognized undergraduate societies.

"They're asking to be allowed to go from being a recognized Greek organizations to being a recognized something else," Redman said. "We're not very willing to recognize them as something else yet."

Last May, citing conflicts and incongruities between the goals of the CFSC and their chapter, Tri-Delt withdrew from the organization intended to serve as a unifying force for the Greek system. However, the sorority remained a part of the overall Greek system.