Commentarii

A Political Gesture

It is unfortunate that President Clinton opted to release a small percentage of the U.S. oil reserves this week in an effort to relieve expectedly high heating prices in the Northeast. Although an effort to decrease oil prices would be noble, considering the president's timing, it is doubtful that this was Clinton's actual intention. Previously, Clinton rightly refused to release anything from the oil reserves. But now that the November elections are drawing closer, and now that Vice President Al Gore has suggested this solution, Clinton has conveniently decided to release the precious oil. Ultimately, Clinton chose to make a political gesture instead of providing a viable solution.

The facts remain that this is neither a long-term solution nor an appropriate use of the oil reserves. The amount of oil which Clinton has released will only decrease prices minimally and only for a very short period of time. Rather than making this useless gesture, Clinton could have pursued other options, such as increasing domestic oil production and investing in alternative fuel research. But even if releasing the oil reserves had been an effective solution, by design, they are intended for national security. Although high oil prices are undesirable, they must not be lowered at the greater cost of compromised security. As temperatures continue to decrease, the government needs to consider other, more effective ways to benefit the Northeast -- politics not withstanding.

The Threat Removed

Dartmouth's education department is at long last standing on stable ground. Although always an intellectually and socially responsible component of Dartmouth academics, the department has until recently been at constant risk of dissolution. Now that it has escaped from the very real threat of elimination, these professors can focus their efforts on more important matters -- such as the continued expansion and improvement of their curriculum. Dartmouth students can now securely learn about important educational issues or become teachers and help even more to contribute to the nation's school system. The College should be proud that it is helping in every way possible to produce more well-prepared, well-educated, quality teachers.

A Watershed Assembly?

As this year's new Student Assembly sets to work, it is important for both the organization's members and the student body to be optimistic and energized about the future. Although past Assemblies have often resulted in disappointment, history must not, and does not, always repeat itself. Any Assembly has the potential to be a great and significant presence on this campus -- and it would be to everyone's benefit if that were realized. Under the leadership of Jorge Miranda '01, the Assembly must not be afraid to become a strong voice for the students. When issues arise, the Assembly needs to take strong action immediately and not repeat the mistakes of past groups which made ineffective decisions too late. At the same time, the Assembly should improve its efforts to provide students with important everyday services. Prepared for action, the Assembly can and should have a worthwhile and watershed year.