June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

Campus welcomes sophomore families

This weekend, we're finally going to be all altogether again.

Family members of the Class of 2002 are expected to flock to Hanover tomorrow for Sophomore Family Weekend.

A little over 400 families have registered to attend this event -- organized by the 2002 Class Council -- and will take part in a wide variety of scheduled activities ranging from a swing ball to a tour of the construction sites on campus.

Weekend Co-chair T.J. Wright '02, who started planning for the event Winter term, said he was both excited and a little apprehensive about the weekend.

"After six months of planning and so much personal investment, one can't help but be a little nervous," Wright said, adding, "I'm also extremely enthused and excited."

According to Wright, who is being helped by Co-chair Jen Tutak '02 and 20 other committee members, the event's theme "'02gether again" was chosen to symbolize the coming together of approximately 1,000 people representing many diverse backgrounds.

Sarah Siegel '02 said she was very excited for her family to visit Dartmouth this weekend. She said her parents and siblings plan to go kayaking, adding that she wants to play a game of pong with her dad at Kappa Delta Epsilon sorority.

Tomorrow afternoon, the 2002 class deans, Carolynne Krusi and Sylvia Langford, are expected to address the families at the Collis Porch Party, followed by a performance by the Summerphonics.

The weekend committee has organized "An '02 Evening of Song and Dance" tomorrow night featuring performances by Sheba and Jumpstart.

Parents and other family members will be able to enjoy Dartmouth's outdoors Saturday morning by canoeing and kayaking down the Connecticut River.

Later Saturday morning, College President James Wright is also expected to address the visitors at his house on Webster Avenue.

Career Services will host a panel discussion, "How To Be a Career Coach for Your Child" at 3 Rockefeller Center at 11.30 a.m. the same day.

Saturday afternoon, Economics professor Andreas Bentz is scheduled to give a lecture titled "Happy, Healthy, Wealthy and Wise," and Jere Daniell, professor of history, is expected to speak on the history of Dartmouth College.

Later in the evening, Asgard will sponsor a "Facultea" allowing students and their family members to socialize with College professors.

The committee has also arranged tours of Rauner Special Collections Library, Baker Tower and the Berry construction project.