Is Voces creating a healthy dialogue by bringing Schneider to campus? Yes

I feel offended; those people should be gagged."

I'm hearing this sort of sentiment more and more often in today's so-called "politically correct" environment, and frankly it sickens me. But let me back up a bit.

On May 23, Voces Clamantium has planned a talk by Yvette Schneider of the Family Research Council. She wants to share her story of "exiting the homosexual lifestyle" -- her words, not mine. Predictably, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community at Dartmouth takes issue with her ideas. Hell, I take issue with some of her ideas. This is great, right? We're inspiring discussion on a controversial issue! Intellectual discourse! This is what college is all about!

Unfortunately, some have seen fit to call for her to be gagged. They don't want to hear what she has to say, and they don't want anyone else to hear it, either. First Amendment? Never heard of it!

Now, don't get me wrong -- I think that Schneider is mistaken in her views on homosexuality, and I do believe that people should be held accountable for what they say. But it is essential that she be allowed to say her piece. And hey, if you don't like what she has to say, if you disagree with her, by all means, let us know. Sponsor your own talk, present your point of view. Have a discussion. Have a ball. But don't try to simply block the opposing viewpoint.

"But we think what she has to say is offensive!"

Sorry, you do not have the right to not be offended. Remember the Communications Decency Act? How long did that last before the Supreme Court killed it off? You have the right to listen to whatever you want, you have the right to believe whatever you want, you have the right to try to convince others to believe the same things you do. You do not have the right to gag someone just because you don't like what she has to say.

"But it's hate speech!"

Well, then it should be all the easier to refute. The problem is, the term "hate speech" is overused -- people have taken to calling whatever they disagree with hate speech and then using that term to justify running people out of town. Yes, I'll agree that Schneider is horribly mistaken about the nature of sexual identity. I'll even state, for the purposes of this argument, that her ideas are outright ridiculous. Does that make it hate speech? If so, does that mean it should be prevented from being said?

Even the Nazi party has a right to say its piece despite the fact that they are clearly promoting hatred. Surely, Schneider's views are no worse than those of the Nazis. If Schneider is, indeed, doing nothing but promoting hatred, she still has a right to say what she wants. Do you not trust us to identify and discard hatred when we see it? Or do you think that hearing a single word that she has to say will warp our fragile little minds?

In conclusion, I would like to reiterate that I think that Schneider is horribly wrong in her views on sexual orientation. Nevertheless, I will stand for her right to say what she has to say.

And to those who are advocating gagging her, I would ask you to remember that speech is too important to censor, because it's what spreads ideas. Indeed, I would remind you that when free speech is taken away from the people, the rest of their rights cannot be far behind.

If you don't like it, don't listen. If you think the speech is dangerous, fight back with your own -- dialogue and debate helps everyone.