Is Voces creating a healthy dialogue by bringing Schneider to campus? No

As an Executive Board member of the Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance, I have been involved in framing the discourse that has surrounded the Yvette Schneider talk on sexual orientation. Mine is but one perspective, but in the spirit that Voces Clamantium claims to champion, I will share my opinion in order to add to the diversity of experiences being expressed with regards to Schneider's talk.

The key issue here is to make our voices HEARD. Voces Clamantium aims to catalyze discussion about issues concerning the Christian world view and to provide the majority opinion at Dartmouth (which they claim to represent) with a public forum. As I understand them, discussions are composed of people of varied opinions expressing why they hold their opinions, allowing for "questioning" and "scrutiny" (if I may borrow Voces Clamantium's words). Well, here you go, Voces -- I AM questioning and scrutinizing. I am scrutinizing the plausibility of changing sexual orientation; I am questioning the merit and morality of recruiting people away from their sexual orientation by threatening them with hell and damnation. I am scrutinizing your intent in bringing this woman on campus; I am questioning whether she will truly catalyze discussions on homosexuality, or whether she will undermine the rights of all to identify themselves accurately and with pride. Above all, I am questioning why you refuse to understand that you are bringing a bigot to our campus; I am scrutinizing how some people don't understand that her message is homophobic and heterosexist.

To me, it is just so clear -- by advocating that people "change" their sexual orientation to heterosexuality, she is privileging that orientation and as a direct result denigrating others. This is heterosexism at work. By placing "Christian" and "homosexual" in mutually exclusive categories, she is discriminating against Christian homosexuals by undermining their identities and their right to describe themselves as they see fit -- which they have every right to do. By saying (on the Family Research Council web site) that homosexuality is a psychological disorder, Schneider is clearly announcing her homophobia. But I announce this: I will not allow a former lesbian pity me, because I have not experienced her life-journey; I will not let her instill fear and shame and self-hate in those she seeks to recruit without letting it be known that I am one among many who opposes her harmful ideology. Her right to do all of this is protected by freedom of speech, but my right to denounce her as a bigot is protected as well.

By publicly denouncing Schneider and her message, not only do I affirm my right to speak, I am also transforming my own message into action. I am refusing to be silenced; I will not be rendered invisible. By coming out as a bisexual female who is affected by this issue, I call attention to the fact that the talk, which has been thus far framed in terms of the "Christian world view" and homosexuality, affects people who do not identify as homosexual. Until now, the focus has been on straight Christian versus gay and lesbian. This is dangerous for two reasons. First, it creates a false dichotomy within the discussion that does not allow for the fluidity of identity that is a reality for many of us (bisexual, transgender, questioning, multi-cultural, multi-racial, et cetera), limiting the discussion and any diversity Voces Clamantium hopes to inspire. Second, it places straight and homosexual people into two camps, implying that straight people cannot understand the homosexual subject position, and vice versa. This is a slap in the face of allies -- heterosexuals who support and affirm members of the queer community. I honestly cannot believe that a fruitful dialogue was intended or well thought-out, when the proponents of the dialogue shut out a significant part of the Dartmouth community. Clearly, this issue silences many and in doing so violates the spirit of our College.

Therefore, I encourage all of you to speak out, speak up, make a dialogue out of this blatant attempt at proselytization. Voces Clamantium intended to catalyze a discussion on this topic but has thus far been willing to accept only one viewpoint. It's up to us to create a true dialogue by voicing OUR perspectives. We must support the students whose dignity has been violated. This is the true spirit of Dartmouth, and we are obligated to uphold it.