Why I Want to Be VP

The Student Assembly must improve.

At such a crucial juncture in Dartmouth College's history, it becomes very important for student government to be truly effective for the sake of all students. We should to some degree have more power to influence decisions that will affect our lives and those of future students. After all, this is our College. We have chosen to spend four of the best years of our lives here.

Right now, however, students have little say and several interests are not being represented. The unfortunate fact that the words "joke" and "Student Assembly" often appear synonymous to many students should be a real concern to everyone.

While SA President Dean Krishna and Vice President Margaret Kuecker have done a great job of leading the current Assembly, that does not mean for a second that this institution cannot continue to improve. And I say this as a current Assembly committee chair, a member who sees next year (because of the implementation of the SLI) as a tremendous opportunity for student government to change for the better.

The fact of the matter is that the Student Assembly has the only infrastructure in place to serve the interests of the student body at large. Whatever students think of SA, the administration and Board of Trustees see the Assembly as the only organization on campus that comes close to representing the student body. When people such as Trustees Susan Dentzer and Peter Fahey come to campus, they usually talk with the Executive Committee of the Assembly.

Because of this reality, we need to ensure that SA does in fact actually represent all different types of students. Not until then can the Assembly expect the support of the student body. Ultimately, this should be the goal, for the administration will be forced to take SA more seriously if the student body sees SA as a truly representative and, therefore, more effective body.

The notion of acquiring an institutionalized voice for students also becomes very important. This is an idea I imagine other candidates will mention as well, but what does this really mean?

Ideally, it should mean that the Student Assembly earns the respect of enough students to be regarded as a major player on campus. It should mean that administrators have to really consider student input when making decisions and somehow incorporate that input into the final product. It should mean that a comprehensive response to the SLI involving a survey completed by 2,211 students should have a real impact in the final decision-making process. This is what should happen, but often does not.

I am not proposing that students possess sole command over all decisions made at Dartmouth. But I am suggesting that students have more real, consistent input than they do now.

So what specifically do I want to do?

1) I want to work with Dean Larimore and administrators to effectively include all student feedback in Student Life Initiative decisions to be made next year. My suspicion is that the Trustees will come to largely vague conclusions, and the administration will have to grapple with the details in implementing them. Consequently, the administration will be even more important next year.

2) I want to moderately reform the Student Assembly to attract more students and actively recruit different types of students. A critical examination of the current structure of the organization must occur. Based on this, some internal changes (to externally benefit the campus as a whole) may be necessary. Perhaps having more campus-wide elected officers or ex-officio positions held by different groups would make the Assembly more representational. This would be decided after the critical review.

3) I want to develop an institutionalized voice for a truly representational student government so students can gain the influence they deserve.

Whichever presidential candidate eventually wins, I feel I could work well with any of them. I want to use my experience, knowledge of how the administration operates, and personal relationships developed with administrators over the past three years to begin the initial steps of change.

I do not pretend to think that an absolute dramatic shift in student sentiment can form in just one year. However, I feel I can make a valuable contribution to this process. This is my aim and what will be driving me in my campaign.

I have put too much time into the Student Assembly to want to graduate next year leaving SA in its current state. As silly as it may sound to some people, I have a legitimate passion for doing this and want to see the Student Assembly improve. Through my previously articulated goals, I think the process for creating a truly representational, respected student governance body can begin.

I'd appreciate your vote.