The Campus SLI Response

This weekend, the Trustees will be making the final decisions on the SLI. After 14 months of committees, discussions, task forces, and rallies, it comes down to this weekend.

The Trustees have a lot of reading material. Many students and student groups produced reports, and there were a lot of ideas shared and recommendations made. Chances are you even participated in at least one of these discussions last term.

When making their decisions, there are a lot of recommendations out there that the Trustees can choose to ignore. One of the reasons for this is that there exists no consensus document that has the stamp of approval of the student body. And we know the Trustees certainly can't ignore recommendations that the entire campus has voted on and endorsed.

We're hoping you've read the numerous blitzes, seen the food court banner, read our HB mailing, and seen the posters, the automatic replies, and The D articles. But in case you missed it, a vote is approaching -- a vote on the Campus SLI Response.

The theory of it is simple -- to give the Trustees something they can't ignore.

This is the culmination of a long process that has been organized entirely by students. This winter, the Assembly took a unique role among all campus organizations in soliciting feedback. We took several polls, held cluster discussions, and talked the issues through. We have produced a document that we believe represents the students -- written only by students. The more of us that vote, the more seriously our opinion will be taken.

Some of you may wonder why a vote is even needed. After all, we have a document that encompasses the opinions of all the students that participated in last term's dialogue. But we're taking this a step further because the issue is so much bigger. We've all been a part of this process and we all are qualified to have a say in it because it affects each of us. So we're giving you one last chance to voice your opinion. We trust the student body -- and think the Trustees should, too.

The Trustees are more likely to act or change their minds when there is a consensus on the part of the student body. The document we have produced represents a common ground reached from many different perspectives. It may not perfectly represent you, but please keep the good of the whole in mind.

Even if you disagree with all of the recommendations we've made, you should still vote. Voicing your opinion is critical with something as important and far-reaching as the SLI. Also, a strong voter turnout will indicate to the Trustees that students are willing to actively participate in the governance of this college, strengthening claims for more institutionalized student power.

Without a doubt, this is the biggest thing since coeducation. And this is literally the last chance you'll get before decisions are made.

Some people say Dartmouth students only care in the middle of a crisis. This is our chance to prove that's not the case. There hasn't been a hate crime, and this isn't a protest, but we're asking you to come together because this is our school, and we all should be taking a part in determining its future.

You're probably sick of the SLI, but this is your last chance to make a difference before the Trustees decide. Please take a few minutes to jump on the basement website and vote. There are a total of 13 sections; at the end of each section there is a question that asks if you agree with the recommendations -- this is the part that will most affect the Trustees' decisions. The 14th question is about the recommendations as a whole. That's it -- 14 questions. We guarantee it's worth your time.