D'Angelo creates dangerous aphrodisiac in 'Voodoo'

Move over Rohypnol (also known as "roofies"), the new aphrodisiac of choice is something called "Voodoo." What should outrage the American public is its accessibility. "Voodoo" can be bought at local music stores around the country.

What is "Voodoo?" D'Angelo's follow up compilation to his multi-platinum "Brown Sugar." His new album consists of a mixture of soul, funk, blues, and jazz.

D'Angelo's album should at least come with some kind of federal warning, because its calming melodies and sexual undertones will undoubtedly render any woman- Black, White, Brown, Yellow, or Purple- helpless and unable to control her sexual desires.

"Brown Sugar" debuted in 1995 and featured the chart topping hits of "Lady" and, of course, "Brown Sugar." The album quickly enthralled listeners and earned D'Angelo five Grammy nominations, won him four Soul Train Awards, and also earned him an American Music Award as "Favorite R&B Artist."

D'Angelo established himself as one of the most compelling new voices in modern music. In his latest collaboration, "Voodoo," he exudes his soul into each song leaving his audience swaying their heads and closing their eyes.

D'Angelo is producing "Voodoo" (his first album on Virgin Records) with contributions from an array of peers, including D.J. Premier, Rafeal Saadiq (of Tony! Toni! Ton! fame) and of course Redman and Methodman.

On instrumentals, D'Angelo solicits the talents of Grammy-winning jazz trumpeter Roy Hargrove, the renowned guitarist Charlie Hunter and the drummer of the best hip-hop group ever -- the Roots' ?uest Love (it's pronounced "quest love").

Some of the more popular songs, "Devil's Pie" and "How Does it Feel," take center stage on the album. Perhaps the most powerful song on the entire album is "The Line." To be enlightened by D'Angelo's powerful lyrics read the following:

"I've gotta tell you, tell u about it/I've been gone for so long/I just wanna sing my song/I know u been hearin/hearin a lot of things about me

"I am goin to hold, hold on to my pride/I'm gonna stick, im gonna stick to my guns/I'm gonna put my finger on the trigger/I'm gonna pull it and we gon see what the deal/I'm for real, I just wanna put it, put it on the line/I've gotta put it on the line/and we havent got much time/I've gotta put it on the line."

These lyrics show how much time and effort D'Angelo puts in his albums. By taking risk and ignoring critics he puts everything on the line and succeeds tremendously.

D'Angelo surprises his listeners with his ability to weave cogent lyrics and harmonious melodies, thus creating songs that leave an indelible mark in the listener's memory.

Imagine combining the soul of Aretha Franklin, the sensuality of Marvin Gaye, and the sharpness of Earth, Wind & Fire. If you can think of mixing all these different flavors together, you can start to taste the sweetness of D'Angelo's new album.

At the nucleus of "Voodoo's" success is D'Angelo himself. His voice tiptoes the line between soothing and sensuality. Gentlemen, I encourage you to buy this album. Not because women will swoon at your feet, but because of its amazing lyrics and beats. Ladies beware: "Voodoo" and its manipulating vocals is out in stores now and, assuming it has not happened yet, will be played to sway and seduce you.