Attention Upperclassmen

Yup, this column is aimed directly at you.

This is an opportunity we can't afford to lose. No, I'm not talking about SLI stuff. I'm talking about the position we are in simply by virtue of being older.

Dartmouth's culture is different from the rest of the world's. We consider things normal that non-Dartmouth people would find bizarre. And it's the students here that shape this Dartmouth culture. More specifically, it's the upperclass students that shape Dartmouth's culture. As a first-year, I learned Dartmouth norms by modeling the '98s. As a sophomore, I learned about my house's culture by watching the '99s and the '00s. I'm sure you've had similar experiences of looking up to an older Dartmouth student. Whether you choose to accept the responsibility or not, we set the tone for Dartmouth's culture.

Yes, culture is one of the foundations of the SLI, and as the February 25th deadline approaches, SLI discussions will (and should) pick up. But as I write this over Winter Carnival, I'm tired of talking about the big SLI issues. For Carnival, I'm tired about talking about social space, first-year housing, and the role of the Greek system. I want to talk about pong.

I love pong. I think pong should be an Olympic sport. The reasons are many, but my love for the game is rooted in the social atmosphere that pong creates. And what is the liquid of choice for the Dartmouth variations of pong? Beer, of course. But the problem is that too many times there is no choice: it's either you play with beer, or you don't play at all.

Pong, because it's fun, often encourages people to drink too much, even when they don't necessarily intend to. Our Dartmouth culture perpetuates this problem: there is a clear undertone on this campus that the more hard-core you are, the cooler you are. The dominant culture also makes it seem that it's un-masculine to use water. My house certainly doesn't have an extreme rager reputation, but too often I get the question, asked with an air of condescension: "You're playing with water?!" When a brother at my house decides he's had enough to drink and would rather play pong with water, I'm going to respect that -- he's being smart by knowing when he's had enough. It doesn't make him less of a man and shouldn't make him less popular. This example illustrates the larger problem with our culture, and helps crystallize the message we need to send to the younger students: drinking more doesn't make you more cool.

Maybe the problem is in the game of pong itself, or that I like pong too much. But for now, at least until the SLI hits in (and maybe after), pong will remain a part of our culture, and we should be trying to think of ways to minimize its evils.

One year ago last week that famous headline graced the cover of The Dartmouth: the Greek system was to end "as we know it." It's been a year, and what has changed? The SLI has certainly made us think, as we've been involved in great debates and seen many changes proposed. As we hit one year, the irony of students' arguments is becoming more and more clear. While we've been arguing over the long-term interests of the system, we still haven't gotten the message and taken ownership over changing ourselves. Perhaps that's the best way to make a long-term impact.

The reality is that the SLI is about future Dartmouth students. While we are here now, it is our responsibility to not let our underclass friends make the same mistakes we have. Let's not let the worst parts of our culture become a part of their culture as well.

As Dartmouth students, it's always our responsibility to think of ways to better ourselves.

These changes I am asking for are reasonable. I've said it before and I'll say it again: we don't need tens of millions of dollars or a mandate from the Trustees to bring about cultural change. Imagine what a change in culture there would be if all the house presidents no longer tolerated boot and rally, regardless of the situation. Or imagine what a change in culture there would be if it were acceptable across campus for me to mix in a few cups of water for my next game of tree. These are some of the small changes I'm willing to make to see Dartmouth better itself. I guarantee you there are many more we can make as well. Please join me; as older students, we have the power to make change.