More intrigue and deception

As if we haven't encountered enough tomfoolery and ballyhoo this season regarding off-ice altercations, the hits just keep on coming.

This time it is out of Detroit. During the Red Wings' 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay last Sunday, two cameramen were allegedly abused by Detroit coach Scotty Bowman, captain Steve Yzerman, and forward Martin Lapointe. The details of the incident are unclear. When Chris Chelios was penalized with 10 seconds to go in the second period, Bowman left the Detroit bench in a huff and encountered a camera crew setting up for an interview in the tunnel to the locker room. Several newspapers report that Bowman then verbally and physically assaulted a cameraman, Yzerman tried to grab the camera, and Lapointe threatened and spit at a cameraman. Bowman has acknowledged shoving the cameraman, but Yzerman and Lapointe denied doing anything of the sort. Both sides agree that the whole incident has been blown out of proportion. However the point is that off-ice altercations seem to be increasing. Hockey is an emotional game, and people are bound to get riled up, especially coaches. It is one thing to throw water bottles and sticks, or even tell the referee to "go have another doughnut you fat pig" [Bruins coach Terry O'Reilly to Don Koharski, playoffs, 1988], but it is another thing to physically assault someone who isn't even involved in the game. Scotty Bowman, one of the most respected and successful coaches in the league, should learn from Caps GM George McPhee and enroll in some anger management courses. Now Scotty when you get angry, think happy thoughts.

Will he stay or will he go? Colorado Avalanche goaltender Patrick Roy first hinted he might be on the trading block and quickly retracted his statement the next day. Roy was quoted as saying, "All I know is I won't be traded until at least Jan. 1," in The Denver Post last Monday. St. Patrick's no-trade clause expires at the end of December. He has also expressed concern over playing time, as the Avs have attempted to give 22-year-old backup Marc Denis some action. The next day, with controversy swirling, he told the media he doesn't expect to leave beautiful Denver. Well, make up your mind Patrick.

Yet again we return to the subject of selfish, greedy, egotistical players. The Ottawa Senators have finally backed up their threats and suspended Alexei Yashin for breach of contract. The suspension is for the remainder of the season, including the playoffs. Yashin, a Hart Trophy (MVP) finalist last year, has rejected a deal that would make him the highest paid player in the league, at $23 million over two years. Hey Alexei, guess what? You are NOT the best player in the league. My advice to the Sens, let him go. The Senators are still in first place in the Eastern Conference, even without Yashin

See you on the ice.