A School for Some

Am I happy at Dartmouth? That's a question I found myself asking a lot last year as a freshman. I was a clueless, nave individual who hadn't really seen much of the world but was now committed to spending the next four years tucked away in some little, obscure, verdant corner of it. But, all things considered, I'd have to say that I was happy at Dartmouth. I felt that I was in the right place for me. And I haven't really thought about it much since. Until this week.

On Sunday, I got an email from my mom telling me that a woman she knew from various school organizations was bringing her daughter, a senior at my high school alma mater, up to Hanover to look at Dartmouth. Initially, I was glad that someone from my high school was considering Dartmouth. Before I came here, the last person from my high school (a typical New Jersey public school of about 1,600 kids) to attend Dartmouth was Andrew Shue, back in the 1980s. My high school has a pretty weak guidance department and I hadn't even heard of Dartmouth before I applied here. So I was pleased that Dartmouth was now being seen as a top-choice college for some of the kids back home. I happily agreed to meet with the girl, Deirdre, and her mom.

When I was walking across the Green to the Hanover Inn, I realized that while I knew a little bit about the College and my opinions of it, I didn't know anything about Deirdre or what she was looking for in a school. I was scared that I'd get into a three hour sermon extolling the virtues of the Greek system only to find that the whole reason she's even considering Dartmouth now is because she hates the idea of Greek life and believes it won't be around much longer. Or that I'd tell her how the weather up here can really be beautiful at any time of year only to have her tell me that she's allergic to leaves, snow and grass.

But my biggest fear was that I would start answering her questions and concerns about Dartmouth and find out that I have the very same concerns and doubts about this place. That, when I take the time to think about it, Dartmouth isn't really what I make it out to be.

I met them in the lobby and we walked over to Murphy's to sit down and discuss Dartmouth. What would be their first question? What's the most pressing concern a prospective student has when visiting Dartmouth? Would she ask about Dartmouth's dropping in the rankings? Would she ask about the Student Life Initiative? No. She asked, "What's with the really weird haircuts I see on campus?" After explaining the Theta Delt's hair-dos and pledge things in general (they had the tact not to ask me about the huge sign I was wearing around my neck), I asked what they had heard about the Initiative and how they felt about it.

Deirdre's mom, it turns out, was a Tri-Delt in her college days. She has many fond memories of her sisters and the time she spent with them. Like everyone on campus, she's unclear as to what the Initiative would actually consist of and how it could benefit the community. I told her my opinions of the Trustees and their Initiative.

Not wanting to dwell entirely on the issue of the Initiative, I tried to think of other positive things on campus besides the Greek system. I talked about classes, the accessibility of professors, the flexibility of and opportunities afforded by the D-Plan, and the long-standing traditions associated with the College. I talked about how only at Dartmouth can you walk from a place like Sanborn library -- with it's leather couches, chandeliers, and old-world charm -- to a state-of-the-art science facility -- with expensive, high-tech equipment -- to a fraternity house -- with its camaraderie and support. I spoke with passion about things as mundane as the leaves changing color in the New Hampshire autumn and with genuine awe over things as impressive as the bonfire tradition.

Why did I speak so fondly about Dartmouth if, for over a year now, I've been writing columns attacking its various flaws? Where did the emotion and vigor in my usually-dulled-monotone voice come from? I'm sure I don't know. But by the end of the meeting, I didn't really care if Deirdre liked Dartmouth or not. In talking about my personal experiences at Dartmouth, I realized that it is a College and a community filled with little intricacies that you could either love or hate. It is not a school for everybody, but I walked away from that encounter knowing that it is the school for me. And even though there is a good chance that I'll be deriding some aspect of the College in my next column, I'll end this one by saying, Yes, I am happy at Dartmouth -- for now, anyway.