Trips give one of many DOC outlets

Whether you know very little about Dartmouth or you grew up hearing stories about the College in your crib, the Dartmouth Outing Club, an integral part of Dartmouth's history and tradition, will probably provide your first real introduction to the College.

Freshman Trips

In recent years trips have become increasingly popular, with up to 80 or 90 percent of students in the incoming class signing up. Approximately 900 freshmen students of the Class of 2003, as well as some transfer students have registered which is a standard number, DOC Trips Coordinator Dana Loebman '00 said.

Originally created to promote interest in the DOC, the trips are a good way to meet other students in your class. New students get to know one another as the Hanover Crew organizes ice-breaking activities on the Bema and initiates freshman into Dartmouth traditions like the Salty Dog Rag.

Most students go on one of the five different levels of hiking trips, Loebman said. The very popular kayaking trips, are the ones for which the DOC has to turn down the most applications, she said.

"Specialty trips tend to be more popular," Loebman said.

This year, freshmen were also able to choose two new trips, a road biking trip and a trail work trip, Loebman said.

The two new trips were offered at the last minute last year, she said, although they did not appear on the DOC trip application form. Loebman said she contacted students directly to ask them if they might be interested in going on one of these two trips.

"We saw a lot of enthusiasm for road biking trips," she said.

Most freshman make their first friends at Dartmouth when they go on a DOC trip. Bonding while carrying bulky frame packs, sleeping under tarps or eating the famous slabs of cheese and bowls of couscous that seem to be a vital component of every DOC trip, is only the beginning.

No matter which trip students go on, all trippees gather forces at the Moosilauke Ravine Lodge, 42 miles northeast of Hanover after three days, for an evening of fun. You may have heard stories about strange Dartmouth traditions like green eggs and ham or the ghost of a crazy old man. This is one night you won't soon forget.

More than 200 upperclass students who have completed rigorous training will lead trips, while 40 more will work for one of the crews.

DOC opportunities

Enjoying the wilderness at the College does not have to end with your freshman trip. DOC activities are available to students all year long.

Founded in 1909 by students who wanted to explore the winter wilderness of New Hampshire, the DOC is the oldest college club of its kind in the country. In the 90 years since it was started, the DOC has expanded to become the largest student-run organization on campus and now includes 11 smaller clubs. For students, general DOC membership costs $15 a year or $35 for all four years.

Cabin and Trail maintains over 100 miles of trails, including more than 70 miles of the Appalachian Trail, which runs right through Hanover. C and T also takes care of nine cabins and 10 shelters. Additionally, the club sponsors Dartmouth's forestry team, which holds competitions in lumberjacking skills.

The Cycling Club welcomes both mountainbikers and roadbikers. Apart from regular road rides and mountain-bike rides on the many trails around Hanover, the Cycling Club also organizes trips, offers a mountain-biking Physical Education class and puts on regular club barbeques or dinners and other events.

The Ledyard Canoe Club was founded in 1920; it is also the oldest college club of its kind in the country.

Although Ledyard focuses on whitewater kayaking and canoeing, it also provides opportunities for students to try all levels of paddling, and accommodates different kinds of boating, from slalom boats to marathon canoeing.

Ledyard has a $35 membership fee which allows members to take out kayaks and canoes for free. The Canoe Club offers annual trips, such as Sophomores from the Source during sophomore summer and Senior Trip to the Sea every spring.

The emphasis of the DOC's Environmental Studies Division is educating the Dartmouth community about environmental issues and also works closely with the Organic Farm.

Yet another club that is the oldest of its kind, the Dartmouth Mountaineering Club sponsors trips to go rock-climbing and ice-climbing in the New England area.

For those more inclined to stay on campus, the Jonathan Belden Daniels Memorial indoor climbing gym in the basement of Maxwell residence hall is open to students interested in learning to climb or practicing skills. The DMC also holds occasional climbing competitions in the climbing gym.

This year, the club organized multiple trips to local climbing areas, and experienced climbers went to Arizona and California. DMC members can be seen scaling the walls of buildings around campus.

The Snowboarding Club is active in organizing many trips to local mountains and ski resorts, as well as areas that are farther away.

At the Dartmouth-owned skiway, students on Ski Patrol become certified and responsible for maintenance and patrol of the Skiway's slopes.

The Boots and Saddles Club offers activities such as horseback riding competitions, riding lessons, and recreational horseback rising.

For those who like hunting and Fishing, the Bait and Bullet Club plans trips for groups of students to go hunting, fly-fishing and ice-fishing.

One of the DOC's newest divisions, Women in the Wilderness, is intended to encourage women from all the divisions of the DOC to participate in outdoor activities and to become leaders in the DOC or outside it. Women in the Wilderness is active in all the DOC clubs.

Finally, GO OUT -- Group Organized OUTings -- arranges trips, similar to freshman DOC trips, for campus groups who want to experience the outdoors.