June 7, 2024 | Latest Issue

Planners expect normal '01 Family Weekend

Despite the convergence of Tubestock and Sophomore Family Weekend on July 23, it still appears neither event will be moved to accommodate the other.

Aaron Akamu '01, the student chair of Sophomore Family Weekend, said the weekend's date will not be changed and added that he does not think the weekend's success will be jeopardized by sharing its date with Tubestock.

"Last year about 800 families came. Right now, numbers are up to 500 families so we're pretty much right on track," Akamu said. He said he also hopes that the number will increase by next week, as tomorrow is the last postmark deadline.

Akamu said he hopes Tubestock will not deter families from attending Sophomore Family Weekend.

"Through the grapevine I have heard that some people told their parents to come another weekend," he said. "It's sort of sad because it is an opportunity to meet professors, the new [College] president, and the new dean of the College."

Richard "Boomer" Akerboom '80, who was a member of Chi Heorot fraternity when he was at Dartmouth, started Tubestock in 1987 for his alumni friends. For liability reasons, Tubestock is not a College-sanctioned event and Akerboom therefore picks Tubestock's date independently of the College.

Heorot Summer President Jeff Davidson '01 said it is unlikely that Tubestock's date will be changed.

"I had a conversation with Boomer earlier [yesterday] and it seems like he has already done all the logistics work. Cops have been organized, the bands have been paid, permits have been figured out," Davidson said. "I need to talk further with the [Coed Fraternity Sorority Council] for potential avenues to pursue but timing-wise it doesn't look like things will change."

Akerboom could not be reached for comment.

Students contacted by The Dartmouth had mixed feelings on the events' timing.

Basil Kim '01 said he does not think the double-booking will create a problem.

"My parents can't make it but I think it's not a big deal ... my parents would understand if they came up. I don't think it will be that big of a conflict," Kim said.

Akamu expressed an opinion similar to Kim's.

"I don't think students are upset, they are just concerned because they don't really want their parents to be here on a weekend when they want to party and have a good time," Akamu said.

He said he thinks parents would also enjoy Tubestock, and added that he encouraged students to bring their parents along.

Other students said they are upset that the two dates coincide.

"I think they could easily change Tubestock ... I'm disappointed because [Tubestock] is something I have wanted to do since I came to Dartmouth and first heard about it," Malu Govindan '01 said. "I'm not going to leave my parents for a whole day when they have come up to see me."