Friends remember Rosekrans

The family and friends of Jenica Rosekrans '00, as well as the Dartmouth community are still in shock today from the 21-year-old psychology major's sudden death Thursday night from a blood infection caused by meningococcus bacteria.

A girl described as loving, introspective and strikingly beautiful, Rosekrans' mother Kathleen said she "loved Dartmouth and cherished the friends she made."

"One of the last things Jenica said to me was, when watching all the seniors beginning to depart, 'I can't imagine in one year I'll be leaving here. I've loved it,'" Mrs. Rosekrans said, adding that her daughter was her best friend, and called home almost every day to "share all of her life at Dartmouth with me."

And it is clear Rosekrans' affection for her friends at Dartmouth did not go unreciprocated, as made clear by a room full of about a dozen of her closest friends, who stressed through all of the tears they felt they were the lucky ones.

"The people she let into her life," Amanda Trause '00 said, while looking at her friends around the room, "We're the luckiest people in the world."

Emily Ramee '00 said they all felt some relief that, because their friend was so affectionate, there was little left unsaid.

"She always told us that she loved us and she knows she was loved," Ramee said. "She knew she was such a huge part of our lives and had so much of our love."

Kerry O'Connell '00, who said Rosekrans was her best friend and the person she spent "90 percent of her time at Dartmouth with," said Rosekrans "had the ability to make you feel so special. Like you were the only person in the world she had any interest in."

All of her friends spoke of Rosekrans as somewhat of a contradiction - an intimidating appearance hiding an affectionate personality. "She would be the first one you'd look at in a basement, because she was so beautiful and so perfect," Betsy Querna '00 said. "But then she'd go run over to you and hug you and spill beer all over you."

Meghan DeMark '00, a sister with Rosekrans at Delta Delta Delta sorority, said Rosekrans was remarkable in her warmth and caring.

"She wanted everyone to get along and be friends," DeMark said. "Jenica made everything fun, and everything happy."

Mrs. Rosekrans said those wishing to give gifts in her daughter's honor should donate to Amnesty International because of her great compassion for those suffering.