Game shows are blame shows

Remember the days of frivolous relationship game shows like "The Newlywed Game," where couples would reveal eachother's peccadilloes on national television? Well, the days of light-hearted relationship gripes on television have been replaced by Jerry Springer-inspired callousness, with couples vying to expose the most raunchy and embarrassing details of their significant others.

Two of the most popular new TV shows, MTV's "The Blame Game" and the nationally-syndicated "Change of Heart," exemplify this new genre of tasteless game shows. Not surprisingly, these shows have found a welcome audience in American television viewers, who cannot get enough of the mud-slinging and sexual innuendo.

"Change of Heart," hosted by Chris Jagger (think John Tesh meets Chuck Woolery), provides feuding couples with the opportunity to date someone else to see if they want to change their mind about their current relationship. In a recent episode, Tina and Joe were feuding because Tina was angry that Joe was wearing her clothing, and Joe was angry cause he did not like Tina's native Hawaiian cooking. So, the producers set Joe up with an All-American girl, and Tina was presented the opportunity to date a man who swore he's never cross-dressed before.

At the end of the show, the couple is asked whether they'd like to stay together, or if they had a change of heart. Invariably, the people they set up to date the feuding members of the couple are always better looking than the present members of the couple. Hence, usually at least one member of the feuding couple will opt to have a change of heart, thus satisfying the American public's craving for watching relationships end. How else can one explain the success of such utterly pointless shows as "Change of Heart" and "Jerry Springer?"

The new MTV show "The Blame Game" uses a similar concept in that the game show tries to get mates to reveal embarrassing and shocking facts about the partner they are displeased with. At the end of the show, the audience gets to decide who deserves the blame in the relationship (hence the title of the show). "The Blame Game" tries to follow in the footsteps of MTV's wildly successful "Singled Out." Unfortunately, unlike "Singled Out," the host is not funny, the concept of the show is terrible and Jenny McCarthy is conspicuously absent.

The new genre of "Blame Shows" is a reflection of society's changing sense of humor. Television viewers are now more amused by anger and fighting than the simple humor of yesteryear exemplified by "The Cosby Show" and "Family Ties." If the trend continues, don't be surprised if network television starts broadcasting live drunken female brawls on the streets of Hollywood, where the audience decides the winner. It is not inconceivable that Fox will air a special titled "When Scantily-Clad Women Attack Each Other."