Dirksen '00 named Ivy tennis Player of the Year

Tuesday's release of the All-Ivy League lists for the sport of tennis bestowed the utmost honor to Dartmouth's tennis star Rebecca Dirksen '00.

In a unanimous vote, Dirksen, who has been making history left and right this season, was chosen as the Ivy League Player of the Year for the sport of women's tennis. The junior is Dartmouth's first tennis player to be thus honored.

In another unanimous decision, Harvard freshman Andrea Magyera was named Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

Besides Dirksen, top players from Brown, Yale and the University of Pennsylvania all earned unanimous positions on the singles first team. This is Dirksen's third time on the first team roster.

Dirksen and partner Allison Taff '00 were also chosen for the doubles second team, while Taff was awarded a spot on the singles second team.

Taff, who co-captains the team, expressed some disappointment over the duo's placement on the second list, but hopes toward a better finishing next year.

"We lost one match and that cost us. Oh well, I guess I'm glad that I'm not a senior," Taff said.

The end of this spring season marked the 25th year of Ivy League women's athletic competition. Dirksen, who had a record-breaking, undefeated season, became the only current tennis player to become a member of the Ivy League's Silver Anniversary Honor Roll.

Winning the Player of the Year award was something that she had hoped for, but not dared to believe she could accomplish.

"I guess I would just say that I am shocked that I had as good a season as I did. I never would have expected it," Dirksen said.

Fellow All-Ivy honoree Taff was not as surprised about Dirksen's award.

"I think it's an award that she has been capable of her entire time at Dartmouth," Taff said. "I can't imagine anyone else in the Ivies who deserves it more."

While this award certainly brings smiles to Dirksen now, next year will be even tougher, as the competition prepares to shoot for the Ivy's top gun.

"I like being the underdog, so I was a little nervous when a teammate said to me yesterday that now I would be the one everyone would be trying to beat," Dirksen said.