Should the Greek System Go? Yes

Last Sunday, a friend suggested that I ap- ply to be on the Trustees' newly-formed "Steering Committee on Student Life." While getting the chance to make such a "substantial" impact on the future of Dartmouth is really appealing to me, I don't think I would do such a great job of representing students.

Over the last few months, I've done my best to represent the students' views to the Administration, but, now that you've chosen your new President who will (as is appropriate) fight for the majority, I want to share with you my view -- a view which is most definitely in the minority.

Honestly, I think it's time for the Greek System to go.

When the Trustees' principles were first released, I wasn't too happy. Obviously, I was frustrated by the way in which they announced their principles, and I didn't particularly support the end of the Greek System "as we know it."

I mean, sure, everyone knows that the Greek System has its problems. But should this really be the end of a system that so many students love?

My feelings have changed, though. The last few months have confirmed what, in some ways, I think I have always feared about Dartmouth.

Dartmouth is two communities.

Over the last few months, I've watched this campus become increasingly polarized. Before, there were divisions, but now these divisions seem incapable of being bridged.

When I read the D or watch rallies or talk to Greek friends, there seems to be a "you're either with us or against us" mentality. And there seems to be little tolerance for those "against us." To some extent, I blame the Administration for putting the Greek System on the defensive, but those of us who have kept quiet about the Greek System's deficiencies are equally to blame.

There are a lot of students at Dartmouth who are unhappy. Unfortunately, too many people in the Greek System seem to think that that's OK. Apparently, as long as more than 50 percent (in this case 80 percent) of the students are happy, everything's OK.

But I don't think so. I don't think we should be satisfied with 80 percent. And I especially don't think that the 80 percent should be uninterested in what the 20 percent have to say.

The problems with the Greek System are numerous. The Greek System is overwhelmingly white. The Greek System not only tolerates, but actually rewards, alcohol abuse. The Greek System, directly and indirectly, demeans women.

For instance, don't you worry about your female friends when they go to themed parties which encourage them to wear as little clothing as possible?

Of course, I'm not telling you things you don't know -- though some certainly seem afraid of acknowledging what is, in my opinion, common knowledge.

Now, I have a few questions I'd like to ask... Why did it take five principles to prompt reform of the Greek System? And what will happen if the Greek System is -- at some point in the future -- no longer threatened with extinction? My fear is that efforts at reform will fade away...

I've definitely had my share of good times in the Greek System. In fact, I've had some great times. But I've also seen some horrible things and heard my share of horror stories.

And while I do think that single-sex space has its positives, I think the current single-sex spaces just have too many negatives.

I believe we can do better.

Dartmouth can be a place where we have a diverse set of social options. Imagine dorms which are differentiated by more than just location. Imagine if each cluster has a social space where the residents can throw parties...

Or imagine a student center that has athletic space, performance space, a pool hall, and decent food all in the same place. Or imagine all the things I'm not creative enough to imagine.

I do not want these things in order to make the 20 percent happy and the 80 percent unhappy. I want these things in order to make the 20 percent happy and to make the 80 percent happier and healthier. And I want these things to ensure that the 80 percent interact with the 20 percent and vice-versa. But, before I conclude what will undoubtedly be my least popular column ever, I want to throw in some caveats. Certain parts of the Greek System are better than others. The leadership of CFSC is amazing, and I have an incredible amount of respect for the people who have fought for years to improve things from the inside out.

Nevertheless, I think Dartmouth's greatest asset is its student body, not the houses in which we live and socialize.

Undoubtedly, there are many who will think I'm wrong. But how about we start by acknowledging the ways in which I'm right? For instance, if you support the Greek System, can you at least admit that 14 to 6 isn't exactly an even playing field?

I apologize to those who are disappointed in me. As my opinions have changed, I have had to walk an extremely tight tight-rope. I have attempted (and will continue to attempt this term) to represent the majority of students. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

Yes, there will probably be people who call me names worse than those I've called President Wright, and that's fine. But, when you disagree with this column, remember that you don't need to convince me that you're right. You need to convince the entire community and, most importantly, the four undergraduate students who will represent you to the Board of Trustees. And, obviously, I will not be one of those four.

Soon enough, we will have a new residential and social system at Dartmouth. I will take the time to express my opinion about what this system should look like (and what it should not look like), and I hope you will, too -- if you haven't already.

Because, in some ways, my opinions haven't changed all that much. For instance, I still believe in the right of students -- all students -- to collectively shape our community.

At this point, I just hope we shape something new.