Acclaimed Trio comes to Hop

The Concord Trio, a chamber music ensemble, returns home to Dartmouth College with a performance of the works of Hayden, Rochberg and Brahms.

The Trio, comprised of violinist Andrew Jennings, cellist Norman Fischer and pianist Jeanne Kierman, couples close friendship with 26 years of experience as musical colleagues, lending the group the ideal cohesive characteristics of a chamber music ensemble.

Fischer and Jennings were the founding members of the much-celebrated Concord String Quartet. Born in the Upper Valley, the ensemble was in residence at the College for 13 years. During its 16-year existence, the Quartet left a striking imprint on the American music scene through over 1500 concert appearances, dozens of recordings and countless commissions of new works by leading contemporary composers. The Concord Trio continues the Quartet's established tradition of artistic excellence.

Fischer and Kierman have shared a long-standing career as the Fischer Duo, performing in Washington, New York, Philadelphia, Boston and scores of other cities. During the 1996 and 1997 seasons, the pair toured South America and South Africa as United States Artistic Ambassadors.

Prior to their 1993 announcement of the Concord Trio's first "official" season, the three members had already clocked in over 20 years of playing together. Since 1971, the Trio, in various combinations, has been performing concerts throughout the United States.

The Trio looks forward to returning to its Dartmouth roots. Pointing to the many years they spent in the Hanover/Norwich area, Fischer said, "Our musical life grew here, our children were born here, our early family life was defined here and we couldn't have been happier." He described Spaulding as the ensemble's "musical home," remembering the many hours spent rehearsing and performing there. "This residency is one that combines so many personal feelings, and it is with great love and gratitude that we return to the Spaulding stage as the Concord Trio to play for our 'friends' old and new," Fischer concluded.

For the past two decades concert audiences have touted the Trio's fresh approach and insightful interpretations. Also praised by critics and audience is the ensemble's enthusiasm for their music. The Trio has a special affection for works of the late 20th century, and thus it performs works by George Rochberg, Mauricio Kagel and Richard Svoboda along with the traditional trio fare of Beethoven, Brahms and Shostakovich.

Each of the three members has established a vital career as instrumental virtuoso as well as a seasoned chamber music partner. Jennings, a Naumburg Award-winning violinist, has been acclaimed internationally as both a performer and a teacher. His chamber music credentials include a 16-year tenure with the Concord String Quartet, which he helped found, and the Gabrielli Trio, along with his current place in the Concord Trio.

As a teacher, Jennings has enjoyed long-term appointments as artist-in-residence at Dartmouth as well as the University of Akron. He currently holds appointments as Professor of violin and chamber music at both the University of Michigan and the Oberlin College Conservatory.

One of the country's leading cellists, Fischer made his first appearance on the international concert stage with the Concord String Quartet. He is also a member of the Ensemble Pierrot. Fischer taught at Dartmouth and the Oberlin College Conservatory before accepting his current position of violincello at Rice University's Shepherd School of Music in Houston.

Pianist Kierman is equally talented as a collaborator with voice or instrument, and is in constant demand as a recital partner along with her ensemble membership. She was the pianist for ten years with the New England-based Alcott Ensemble, performing a broad range of chamber music. Formerly on the faculty of the Oberlin Conservatory, Kierman is now Artist Teacher of Piano at the Sheperd School of Music at Rice University.

The Concord Trio performs at Spaulding Auditorium on April 20 at 8 p.m., preceded by an informal discussion in the Faculty Lounge at 7 p.m.