Carnival committee plans skiing and Polar Bear Swim

Although many in the Dartmouth community were looking forward to the Greek events and parties that were cancelled Wednesday, the four days of events planned by the Winter Carnival committee will not be affected by the controversy surrounding the Board of Trustees' new social and residential life initiative.

Students kicked off their weekends on Thursday with the Citizen's Classic Cross-Country Race at 2 p.m.

The traditional Human Dog Sled Race was at 3 p.m.

At 7 p.m., Winter Carnival officially started with the Opening Ceremonies. The Dartmouth ski teams led the torch lighting on the Green and speakers included College President James Wright and Winter Carnival co-Chairs Andy Louis '00 and Amy Pogoriler '00. Various a cappella singing groups sung as well.

Ntozake Shange, an African-American director and poet who "[creates] poems about black women which help us grow strong" directed a group of students in a new production entitled "A Work in Progress" in the Moore Theater at 8:00 p.m. Tickets sold for $3 for Dartmouth students.

After visiting the Moore, some students grabbed a dress or a tie -- depending on whether they were a guy or a girl, respectively -- and checked out Winter Carnival's Drag Ball, sponsored by the Rainbow Alliance. Winners of the "most outrageous drag queen and king" contest received crowns and prizes. The Ball was at Collis Commonground from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Carnival revelers shouldn't sleep in too long on Friday, because starting at 9:30 a.m., the Dartmouth Skiway will allow Dartmouth students and faculty to enjoy a 99 Ski Day. The first run of the day will be a Men's and Women's Giant Slalom competition. A second competition will commence at 12:30 p.m. Diehard skiers can also drive quickly to Reservoir Road after the first Giant Slalom to attend the Men's and Women's Classic Cross-Country Race at Oak Hill at 10 a.m. Extremely diehard skiers can also add the Intramural Ski Race at 12 p.m. to their list of events.

For those late sleepers who need cold showers to wake them up, the Polar Bear Swim at Occom Pond starts at noon. Participants will receive commemorative polar bear buttons and towels to warm up from the icy pond.

For those afraid of hypothermia, the Programming Board will sponsor a Tubing Park at Freshman Hill from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. Tubes will be supplied by Sno.engineering.

Sports events abound Friday evening, starting with Women's Swimming and Diving vs. Harvard and Cornell at Spaulding Pool at 5 p.m. At 6:30 p.m., Men's Basketball will play Cornell in Leede Arena, and Men's Hockey will take on Colgate at 7:30 p.m. in Thompson Arena.

Meanwhile, at 8 p.m.the Winter Whingding, featuring the Dartmouth Rockapellas, the Beelzebubs from Tufts and Final Cut will entertain students in Spaulding Auditorium. Ntozake Shange's "A Work In Progress" will gain be performed in the Moore Theater at the same time.

Comedian Tony V will be performing in Collis at 9 p.m. At midnight the Nugget will have a free showing of "Rush Hour"starring Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker.

If Friday doesn't tire partiers out, Saturday surely will. Like Friday, the day begins with Men's and Women's Slalom at 9:30 a.m. at the Dartmouth Skiway. At 10 a.m.,more Men's and Women's Freestyle Cross Country will occur at Oak Hill.

From noon to 4 p.m., the Tubing Park will again be sponsored by the Programming Board on Freshman Hill. Men and Women's Slalom will also have a second run at the Dartmouth Skiway at 12:30 p.m. Following the tubing and skiing, students will race over to the Club Ice Hockey game vs. University of New Hampshire at Thompson Arena.

The Occom Pond Party begins at 3 p.m. and lasts until 6 p.m. This "revival of a Carnival tradition" includes musical performances, free ice skates, ice castle building, and sleigh rides. A schedule of the party's events include Parade and Torch Lighting, 3 p.m.; Dartmouth College Marching Band Concert, 3:15 p.m.; Hockey Shoot and Speed Skating Contest, 3:30 p.m.; Human Dogsled Race, 3:45 p.m.; Couch Potato Race, 4 p.m.; Snow Sculpture Judging, 4:15 p.m.; Banathalon Race, 4:30 p.m.; and Snow Sculpture Contest Award Ceremony, 4:45 p.m.

Following the party, Men's Hockey will play Cornell in Thompson Arena at 5 p.m., and Men's Basketball will play Columbia in Leede Arena at 7:30 p.m.

Finally, Winter Carnival ends with a bang at the Winter Carnival Swing Ball in Alumni Hall. The Ball, lasting from 8 p.m. until midnight, will feature the White Heat Orchestra and is sponsored by the Programming Board and the Hanover Inn. Tickets are $5. Last year's Ball sold out, so swingers should get their tickets early before the doors open.

Also at 8 p.m. will be the Barbary Coast Jazz Ensemble in Spaulding Auditorium and Ntozake Shange in the Moore Theater.

Collis will be rocking later that night with Boston jam band Lettuce. The band goes on at midnight and during their performance, Blood's Catering will be serving a Winter Barbecue on the Collis steps.