Finding Common Ground is the Key to Learning from Mistakes and Misperceptions

In light of the controversy surrounding the co-sponsored "Ghetto Party," I feel compelled to offer an alternative viewpoint in the ongoing discussion of race here at Dartmouth. Many of the past discussions about race seem to focus on the "Us" versus "Them" platform. I feel that this kind of polarity in our thinking is not only counterproductive, but detrimental to any kind of real progress that can initiate real change.

As a person of color on this campus, I often feel frustrated with certain types of attitudes or actions that take place. Yet it is equally frustrating to me to see the way in which these actions are addressed. By simply scolding groups who participate in inappropriate actions, we are only alienating them from any kind of real engagement in racial issues. If we are hurt or angry as a community, then it is necessary to participate in open discussion about our hurt and anger. By simply telling people you are wrong, and then stating the reasons why they are wrong, we only create an environment in which those groups feel the need to act defensively. But defensive measures do not constitute understanding. It is important that both groups be able to come together to discuss why or why not they feel certain actions are offensive, otherwise we are left with an alternative of groups reacting to incidents but never really achieving any kind of progress.

Progress. I mean that is the real goal here, right? We do at some point want to move beyond the discussion of "you hurt me and how can we all make sure this doesn't happen again" to "you hurt me and can you understand why you hurt me"?

Without the rhetoric of Political Correctness or Principles of Community attached, can we all make an effort to meet each other halfway and truly discuss and have an open dialogue about the present issues? Without casting judgement about the Greek system , what we know about or what we think we know about each other, can we all come together to talk about the way we feel?

If we attempt to engage in this type of discussion, this will involve all of us meeting each other halfway. This will involve a commitment to each other, in such a way that we understand we all have a vested interest in each other. We are each others keepers. We should care if people are hurt and, likewise, we should care if people don't understand why we are hurt.

Anger, confusion, mistrust and annoyance are all valid emotions. But after we work through our emotions, we still must come to the table and be willing to make some real progress. The kind of progress that will make catch-phrases like "community" and "diversity" mean something besides being phrases we toss at each other in passing.