Stop the Fines

Many students have informally voiced complaints about the fines on campus in the past, and it is timely that this be addressed as we begin preparations for the new school year. Congratulations to the Student Assembly for bringing this issue to the fore in their recent report to the Administration.

It is to the credit of the Administration that they have been receptive to the report, and the enthusiasm that they have displayed about making changes in the near future is encouraging.

Fines are used all too frequently by different departments of the College, and are often excessive in the amount that they charge. Chief on the list of complaints are the hefty fines assessed by Parking Operations. In a "core" parking lot for a first offense, the charge is $50. The second offense raises the cost to $100. This situation is only exacerbated by the fact that there is no real provision of recourse if the student feels that they have been ticketed incorrectly.

Contested tickets are dealt with by the same department that issues them -- Parking Operations. In these matters, they are effectively judge, jury and executioner, leaving little room for a student's side of the story.

Other departments on campus have found $50 to be a nice round fine as well. Graduation requirements were established to be completed by graduation -- at least that is what the name would seem to indicate. But the Athletic Department sees the situation differently. The physical education requirement of three terms must be completed by sophomore summer. If it is not, students are fined $50 per term.

The logic behind fining those who take longer to complete the requirement seems to be driven solely by the money that it brings to the department. Students are responsible enough to complete this requirement on their own, without being fined if they choose to finish it later in their Dartmouth career.

Another issue left unaddressed by the College is the affect that these fines may have on students who are on financial aid. While a $50 charge may not be a problem to some, it could be a great burden to others. Were the current charges of fines lower, this would not be the problem that it currently is.

Fines are a major concern for students at Dartmouth. Hopefully with the Student Assembly and the Administration working together, the situation will be remedied.