Bad weather can't stop Sophomores from the Source

"You have to leave, NOW!" The voice of the Northeast Security official boomed loudly from behind his flashlight. The tents were almost up, rain was imminent, and thunder and lightning created an ominous glow behind the massive power lines of the Comerford Dam.

From last Thursday until Sunday, a group of 18 Dartmouth students launched themselves into the waters of the Connecticut River to paddle 100 miles down to the dock of the Ledyard Canoe Club. Beginning just south of the New Hampshire-Canada border in Lancaster, the canoe trip required four days, five portages, and many high-spirited individuals.

This voyage, known as "Sophomores from the Source," has been a tradition since the early 1990s; however, this year's trip began with a powerful and enervating initiation.

Seven students on the trip were told by a Northeast Security official that sleeping near the dam was not permitted because it was "unsafe." They were forced to take down camp and paddle across the open water amidst pouring rain, thunder and lightning.

"We moved from sleeping on power company land in the middle of a field to actually sleeping right under their dam because we couldn't do the portage in the dark and rain," said Matt Hood '00.

Meanwhile, within the same radius of 147 megawatts generated by the dam, was the remainder of the group which had departed a day later and was to meet up with the initial seven.

The remaining 11 members of the group had received the same orders from the same security official enforcing his logical theories of safety. They too, had been forced to portage their belongings below the dam, sans daylight or auxiliary support.

The next morning, Mark Kutolowski '99 said he remembers, "waking at six a.m. from sleeping under a cement platform at the hydroelectric dam. I wandered down to water's edge to spot the previously undetected Sarah Billemier '99. We knew the day would only get better from there as our trip was finally united."

That day Mark and the others immersed themselves in paddling interspersed with rope swinging, sun bathing, mudfighting, games of canoe frisbee, and stargazing. Upon reaching camp, unloading, changing into dry clothes, and setting up tents were all tackled a la speedy Gonzalez. Given the meager half-hour allotment of daylight remaining, the pre-soaked lentils (courtesy of the downpours in the canoes) provided an unexpected perk.

Kristin Maczko '99 said she fondly remembers that night.

"The water was so still and the sun was setting and casting such a warm light over the river; the reflections were beautiful -- it was so peaceful to be a part of it."

Not everyone could easily define their most vivid memory.

"It's hard to pinpoint one specific moment, because it all seemed to run together in a fluid mass -- kind of like the river itself," said Katy Young '00. The river was not the only fluid mass. Copious amounts of time were spent in reconnaissance of floating oreos, iced animal cookies, edible goldfish and bloated chips-ahoy.

Some, like Renne Gambell '00, feared the academic catch-up upon returning, thinking, "Oh my god! I just did absolutely no work for four days and now I'm going to pay dearly!" However, the natural elements provided a rich learning environment of their own.

Among the key concepts covered in this multi-disciplined hands-on lab were: the aerodynamics of bridge jumping, correct plant identification (specifically, poison ivy), the critical angle of canoe tip, efficiency of raspberry foraging technique, as well as factors affecting the buoyancy of certain foods.

This concept of buoyancy became an important issue: sinking cheese hunks and salsa jars were the cause of myriad near-canoe capsizes.

But, the total contents of a canoe suffered complete Connecticut submersion only once as a result of a game of "monkey head" and interboat trash-unloading. All personal belongings were recovered and no injuries were sustained by the canoe or personnel.

While indulging in the camaraderie that sprouted among people, the paddlers exhibited an earth-friendly outlook. They forwent campfires (therefore settling for raw s'mores), picked up floating trash on the water (coined as "water bootie"), and made a conscientious effort not to waste food. To promote food frugality, a dog the group named "Poison Ivy" (in light of its' unfortunate botanical encounter), mysteriously appeared at consecutive campsites to beg for its fair share of left over cous-cous.

The disappearance of the cous-cous marked the time to return to Dartmouth. Approaching Ledyard's dock, the alma mater, along with wild slaps of canoe paddles against the water declaring excitement of a near finish, resounded in cadence. Especially overwraught with triumph and allegiance, Jolyon Rivoir- Pruszinski '00 shattered his wooden paddle on the surface. In three pieces, and plastered with the paddlers' signatures, it now hangs on the Ledyard walls documenting the epic journey.

Next year another paddle will assuredly hang on the wall inside the canoe club. On it, will be the new signatures of classmates who have felt the power of paddling 100 miles from the source of the Connecticut. Matt Nelson '00 offered advice to future potential generations of Sophomores from the Source. "Camp BELOW the dam!"

As a graduate, Khoa Ha '97 said he has come to a realization from which present students may benefit.

"Because I've been too busy with commitments and lame in my prioritizing, I never gave myself an opportunity to enjoy some of the best that Dartmouth has to offer in terms of the people I'd meet and enjoying the outdoors," he said. "Regardless of what walk of life or circle of people you're involved with at Dartmouth, this should be high on your priority list."

An experience such as this shows that even dam officials and lightning cannot buccaneer from paddlers of the source, the power to navigate rough waters that may come downstream.