Flouridation Research Proposal Has Major Flaws

To the Editor:

The research proposal by Professor Masters and Mr. Copland -- to correlate the incidence of violent behavior with the fluoridation of water -- is based on several significant, unsupported assumptions. They state that there has never been a physiological study showing lead uptake is increased or even affected by the use of silicofluoridated water in animals. This is a crucial experiment, easily done, and yet they will employ the oblique methodology of correlation rather than a direct, definitive animal study. In addition, a quick check of Medline journals from 1990 to 1998 did not reveal any papers linking lead levels to violent behavior. Unless these questions are addressed first, their research will have little value.

It is unclear how a chemical engineer (who has stated that fluoridation is "one of the most profound, misguided judgments in human history") and a government professor would have the expertise to conduct an objective study on a topic more suited to a public health epidemiologist or a physiologist. This, plus the fact that the funding is from the EPA Office of Criminal Enforcement, makes it appear that the research has a political, rather than a scientific basis. The reputation of Dartmouth cannot be enhanced by the use of $80,000 of College funds for such a flawed study.