Xscape's newest shows group's potential

Xscape, a foursome of talented singers from an Atlanta suburb, College Park, burst early onto the 1990s R&B scene with their tight four-part vocal harmonies and unique Southern flavor.

Signed as one of the first acts on rapper cum producer Jermaine Dupri's So So Def Record Label, Xscape has lived the rags to riches life. They were first discovered in a talent search conducted by Dupri in Atlanta and had only sung before in a church choir.

Now the world is their audience and Dupri has gone on to produce and engineer mega-hit tracks for the likes of Mariah Carey, Da Brat and teen idol, Usher.

Xscape have three full-length albums under their belt and also have contributed to such successful soundtrack compilations as the "love jones" movie and a team-up with rapper MC Lyte for Whoopi Goldberg's "Eddie."

Their debut album, the entertaining, gospel-influenced, "Hummin', Comin' at 'Cha," rose up the R&B charts in part because of its vocal simplicity.

Dupri presented the (then) girls as they were: four singers with incredible voices. Kandi Burruss, Tamika Scott, Latocha Scott and Tameka "Tiny" Cottle provided the focus of every song through their multi-range voices.

After a three year hiatus, Xscape brings together "Traces of My Lipstick," an album which showcases Xscape in a moodier and more mellow setting. Almost all of the tracks feature Xscape crooning heart-tugging ballads.

However, Dupri tries a little too hard to sell the group, and their true talents lie under a thick veneer of synthesizers, samples and fancy costumes.

In their first album, Xscape spotlighted their vocal gymnastics, recording up-tempo jams and sugar-coated ditties. There was not the avalanche of souped up jeep beats and samples which followed in the second album, "Off the Hook," and is found throughout their latest foray, "Traces of My Lipstick."

For example, the second track on their album, titled "My Little Secret," shows great potential for extended radio play. However, Cottle, one of the singers, delivers an over-the-top note which fits awkwardly into the song. The embellishment, which before now could only be heard by screaming girl fans at a Hanson concert, finds the group trying too hard to be different.

The first radio release from the album, "The Arms of the One Who Loves You," is more of what the Xscape listeners are accustomed to. The song, a Kleenex tear jerker, retells the struggles of maintaining a long-term relationship. However, Xscape maintain that you can always "run to the arms of someone that loves you/ someone who will keep you warm."

Overall, the album has much potential, and we have yet to hear the last of Xscape. This album should provide much fodder for the radio and music television station airwaves this summer.

However, the fault in this album lies mainly in its glossy pretentiousness and high-profile presentation.

"My Little Secret" has verve, thanks to an acoustic rift found in the current smash hit "Nice and Slow," by Dupri protege Usher.

"The Arms of the One Who Loves You" is a great song for star-crossed lovers everywhere. And "Am I Dreamin" features members of Ol Skool alongside Xscape. The song was originally featured on a movie soundtrack and was produced by R&B crooner Keith Sweat.

"Traces of my Lipstick" is an album for all those Xscape fans out there. Despite its flaws, it's a winner.