Two more seniors are awarded Fulbrights

Two additional students, Abigail Gordon '98 and Arvidas Remeza '98 have been named Fulbright Scholars for the upcoming academic year. They will conduct research in Spain and Lithuania respectively.

Gordon and Remeza join Kwang Kim '98 and Justin Stearns '98, who were notified of their awards earlier this term. In addition, Assistant Anthropology Professor Paul Goldstein and Engineering Professor Erland Schulson were also previously selected as recipients of this year's grants.

The Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board awards students and other members of academic institutions federal government grants to conduct research in other nations in an effort to increase the mutual understanding between different nations.

Gordon, a government and romance language double-major was notified of her award yesterday. She will be living in Madrid and doing research on immigrants' rights, with special emphasis on immigrants from northern Africa.

She said her research is very similar to the thesis project she just completed. "My thesis was very political. I would like to look more at the socio-cultural angle next year from the actual migrants' point of view."

Gordon received a James B. Reynolds award in February to conduct similar research.

The Reynolds Scholarship awards $12,000 to each recipient to pursue their study of interest in a foreign country. Current seniors and alumni who have graduated from the College within the last five years and are U.S. citizens may apply for the grant.

The Reynolds Scholarship is the largest scholarship the College awards to graduating students and is considered one of the most prestigious.

"One of the best things about winning the Fulbright is that another student can now receive the Reynolds grant," said Gordon, who added that she will replace the Reynolds funding with the higher Fulbright grant.

Gordon will also be taking classes in Arabic and working on an internship. "I'm deciding between working for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees and the International Rescue Committee."

Remeza, also a government major, will be studying at the foreign policy institute of Vilnius University in Lithuania's capital city.

His research will focus on the effects of NATO expansion on Lithuania and said his work will be aided by the availability of resources with a different point of view on the subject.

"In the U.S. you get articles and studies with a very Western perspective," Remeza said.

Both Remeza's parents were born in Lithuania, and he said he is excited to be studying there. "It's an asset to be able to combine the academic side with the personal side," Remeza said.

While he said he is looking forward to his Fulbright research abroad, he said he is slightly nervous about the unfamiliar conditions of Lithuania.

"Lithuania doesn't have all the conveniences of living in America. I've heard stories that there's no heat or hot water once in while ... but it will be worthwhile," Remeza said.

Gordon and Remeza both said they plan to attend graduate school after their year of Fulbright study is completed with law school being a possibility.

"I'm definitely not in a rush to get out in the work force ... and this Fulbright has helped by a year," Remeza said.

Both students are active at the College outside of the classroom. Gordon said she participates in the Rockefeller Center's Women in Politics program. Remeza is a member of Alpha Chi Alpha fraternity and the Dartmouth Chamber Orchestra.

Applicants for the Fulbright go through an extensive process, including interviews in the fall with members of the Committee of Graduate Fellowships to earn nominations from the College.

Applicants must also create a detailed research proposal.

Last year, the greatest number of Dartmouth students ever were awarded Fulbright Scholarships -- five undergraduates and two alumnae. Three seniors were notified about the award in April and two more were notified in May.

So far this year, four students and two professors have been awarded Fulbrights.

The scholarship, named after late Senator J. William Fulbright, was created after World War II to provide opportunities for members of U.S. academic communities to study or conduct research in 100 different nations.