Personalized BlitzMail Is Inappropriate in Public Computing Clusters

To the Editor:

Feeling that the 15 minutes of work I had done certainly warranted another trip to check BlitzMail, I found myself sitting in line for the third time in an hour waiting to get on one of the Baker public computers on the main floor of Baker Library. These computers, unlike their brothers of the reserve cluster, are write-protected so that nothing can be saved on their hard drives. In other words, I can not download my paper, the latest Southpark soundbite or a copy of JoshGreenMail. So I was surprised to see the face of the Student Assembly president-elect on the screen when my turn finally came up to further procrastinate.

I don't have a personal problem with the fact that two of Josh Green's friends (according to The D) decided they love their dear buddy so much they want to see him every time they use e-mail. I do have a personal problem with the fact that the school is forcing me to look at Green when I am procrastinating.

Whether or not Green is really self-righteous enough to want his face on our public computers, I do not know, but it is ridiculous that the school condones this inappropriate example of self-serving egotism

I not only have to look at Green, but also his favorite movie character, his most recently failed paper and a bloated can of Coca-Cola. Approximately 20 percent of the student body elected Green to be our Assembly president. We did not elect a king of Dartmouth. From what I can tell from past years and the level of student apathy, we really didn't elect anything important at all. I just asked the girl next to me what she thinks about JoshGreenMail; she said, "Josh Green ... didn't he run for something?" Maybe we'll get our papers every 15 minutes instead of every half an hour from Kiewit, maybe not. And whether or not Green and the Assembly really have any power will more than likely go unnoticed by myself and the 95 percent of the student body who are not participants in the Assembly. We don't care. But I would venture to say that even those who do care about the Assembly also appreciate the right to approve or disapprove of Green without having to see his smiling face every time they get on a computer in Baker library.

Will JoshGreenMail become the standard issue for Dartmouth College?

But then, maybe we should start putting our Assembly presidents on every computer on campus. At least we would know why we were voting.