The Wright Direction

The appointment of James Wright to succeed President James Freedman as the sixteenth president of Dartmouth College is both a sensible decision and a resounding endorsement of the College's current path.

But the Presidential Search Committee's choice of Wright was not merely a safe and conservative decision, it was also an informed and intelligent one.

Wright's selection may not be as exciting as the arrival of fresh blood in Parkhurst would have been, but the stability of an internal appointment provides welcome relief from the College's impending spate of administrative departures.

In his 29 years at Dartmouth, Wright has witnessed the College's evolution, both before and during the Freedman era. As a former Dartmouth professor, dean of the faculty and provost, Wright will bring the perspectives of an experienced administrator and faculty member to the presidency.

Because of his firsthand understanding of the unique character of Dartmouth, it is unlikely that Wright will make radical, unwanted changes to the College.

In addition, Wright's insider status will be an asset as he moves quickly to fill the multitude of vacant positions currently facing the administration.

While Wright plans to continue Freedman's pursuit of a more intellectually oriented Dartmouth, he will undoubtedly bring his own initiatives to the presidential office.

For example, Wright's belief in the value of research and his commitment to affirmative action will shape the Wright era at Dartmouth.

While encouraging research will improve the image and caliber of the College's faculty, it is vital that Dartmouth not lose its renowned focus on undergraduates.

Wright's perspective on diversity brings much-needed specificity to the often nebulous concept. It also responds to recent calls for diversity on campus.

In the coming months, Wright will have the opportunity to fulfill his commitment to diversity as he appoints several senior-level administrators.

During his presidency, Wright will do well to apply his inside understanding of the College by continuing Dartmouth's commitment to undergraduates and maintaining its unique character.