Pelton's Last Call

Dean of the College Lee Pelton's new alcohol policies are both a demonstration of Pelton's willingness to compromise and a commendable vote of confidence in the Dartmouth student body.

Although the policies may not be popular with all students, they provide the College with a reasonable means of complying with federal and state laws without seriously restricting students' social options.

It is obvious that Pelton took student wishes to heart in considering the recommendations of both the College Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs and the Coed Fraternity and Sorority Council. Rather than taking the path of least administrative resistance by concurring with the CCAOD, Pelton agreed with nearly all of the CFSC's counterproposals.

On several issues, including the proposed changes in the student monitoring system, Pelton is allowing the CFSC to draft more concrete plans.

Since Pelton is placing this responsibility in the hands of the Greek system, the CFSC must take advantage of the opportunity by making sensible guidelines in accordance with student wishes, while at the same time recognizing the importance of safety and legality.

Pelton also used sound judgment in retaining the 3 a.m. closing time for weekend social events. This policy is rational, especially since recent studies show Dartmouth students tend to be awake at this hour.

In addition, by limiting the number of kegs at a registered event to five, Pelton reached a compromise between the CCAOD and the CFSC's recommendations. He obviously understands that severely limiting the number of kegs at any one party would have negative repercussions, such as increased consumption of hard alcohol.

Although the ban on kegs during Sophomore Summer is sure to cause some degree of uproar, especially among members of the Class of 2000, it is difficult to ignore the rationale behind this decision. Considering the small number of students of drinking age on campus during the summer, it would not be legally prudent for the College to allow kegs during that time period.

In his response to the five recommendations, Pelton has acknowledged students' maturity and ability to take responsibility for their own drinking behavior.

For their part, Dartmouth students must realize that the personal responsibility entrusted in them by the College will not continue if alcohol abuse remains unchecked.

Students should respond to Pelton's moderate policy proposals with maturity corresponding to his demonstrated confidence.