Latino fraternity gains College recognition

This week, the College recognized its newest Greek organization, La Unidad Latina Lambda Upsilon Lambda fraternity. Currently consisting of only four members, LUL is the College's first a historically Latino fraternity.

LUL President Daniel Rivera '98 said while his fraternity will focus on Latino culture, membership will not be exclusive. "We're not going to be narrow-minded about other cultures ... any male can join our organization."

Rivera, LUL Vice President Ernesto Cuevas '98, Secretary Fernando Diaz '00 and Treasurer Rolando Lopez '00 are also members of the Hispanic student organization La Alianza Latina, but said they felt a Latino presence in the Greek system could do more.

"The idea is that a fraternity can have more influence and bring more events to the College than other groups, and the Latino community didn't have a prominent voice within the Greek system," Cuevas said.

Cuevas said the focus of his group will be to provide cultural opportunities on campus similar to the party at La Casa last week, which the members helped to organize even prior to their official recognition by the College. "We will have social events where cultural diversity is present."

Cuevas said he also hopes LUL will be very community service-oriented.

Rivera said the initial desire for a Latino fraternity at the College arose from a group of students from the Class of 1996 and continued through this year. LUL is currently a colony of its national organization of the same name which was founded in 1982 at Cornell University.

Assistant Dean of Residential Life Deb Reinders said the students began the recognition process at the end of Fall term. "The amount of time for recognition of this fraternity was pretty standard," Reinders said.

She said the procedures and qualifications for a cultural fraternity are the same as any other organization seeking recognition from the College. "Some things, like a physical plant and the idea of affiliating nationally, weren't applicable here, but all else was the same."

Dean of the College Lee Pelton gives final approval to all fraternities seeking College recognition. LUL will now be a part of the Coed, Fraternity and Sorority Council and the Pan Hellenic Council, the governing body of the College's historically black and cultural Greek organizations.

The fraternity currently has no plans for a physical plant, but Rivera said if membership increases enough they would like to have a permanent location.

Cuevas said that membership selection will be conducted through an application and interview process. "It will not be a traditional rush process."

Rivera said the other Greek organizations and the College have been helpful in the recognition process. "The historically black fraternities have been more than wonderful," Rivera said.

LUL's faculty advisor is Assistant Director of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Alexander Hernandez-Siegal. "He's a wonderful guy ... We're very fortunate to have found him," Rivera said.

There are currently 500 members of the national organization of La Unidad Latina in 30 schools, including every Ivy League institution except Columbia University.