Safety Beyond Locks

Several recent acts of disrespect, trespassing and vandalism on campus have brought the often-ignored issue of College safety to the forefront of discussion.

Although students are accustomed to the benefits of Dartmouth's relatively safe location in rural New Hampshire, it has become obvious that the College is not as isolated from acts of indecent vandalism as it is from the threat of metropolitan crime.

In order to correct existing weaknesses in residence hall safety, the College must act now to protect its students before worse transgressions occur.

The two-key measure currently under discussion would help to remedy the lack of safety in Dartmouth dorms. Under such a system, Dartmouth students will be able to enter any campus residence halls using a master key, but outsiders will not have access to College dorms.

Dartmouth is one of the few colleges nationwide that does not already require either identification cards or keys for dorm entry. Although such safety measures will undoubtedly require adjustment -- when receiving food deliveries, for example -- they will allow students to feel safe and protected at Dartmouth.

While safety in residence hall bathrooms is the main issue at stake, the placement of fire exits in some bathrooms prevents the College from simply adding locks to dorm bathrooms. This problem illustrates the outdated quality of some of the College's facilities.

Improving student safety should be a permanent item on the College's agenda, and creating a safer and more efficient fire escape system is a necessary step in the evolution of Dartmouth.

Now is the time to enact the two-key measure, rather than waiting for worse violations of students' personal space.

However, the College should not stop at this temporary improvement, but should demonstrate its commitment to maintaining the safety and privacy of its students by moving forward with further renovations.

The proposed "life-safety" improvements must take place as soon as possible.

By first implementing the two-key proposal, then proceeding with long-term plans to improve overall residence hall safety, the College will protect students living in dormitories from a multitude of dangers.