June 16, 2024 | Latest Issue

My Life as a Male Cheerleader

I am a guy cheerleader. For reasons unknown to me, I still cannot say those words without smirking or suppressing a chuckle. Please don't get me wrong, I am not ashamed. People often ask me what motivated me to become involved with such an activity that is primarily reserved for the opposite sex. I reply, "Why not?"

When people are asked to describe a typical cheerleader, they already have a lot of preconceptions. Images of overly cheerful girls who are less than intelligent spring from their minds.

When they are asked to describe a typical male cheerleader, they are puzzled because male cheerleaders are anything but "typical." Many imagine them to be huge with rippling muscles. Some believe that they are gay. Few think the guys are doing it to meet girls. At least that's what I thought.

I vividly remember the first day that I became involved with the cheerleading squad. One of my friends was a cheerleader, and I ran into her on my way to the gym. We exchanged greetings, and I soon found out that she was going to her cheerleading practice.

I was in a strange mood that particular day. At that moment I remembered myself saying that I would become more involved in school activities. I had spent too many days sleeping through classes and waking up with hangovers during the weekends. I believed that by staying active and doing something constructive, I could escape from my old habit.

As we talked about her practice, I became more interested. Why not try something that I could never picture myself doing? Haven't I always been saying that? Isn't this what college was supposed to be for?

As I walked to where the cheerleaders practice, I felt out of place and began to realize what I was about to do. What would my friends say? What the heck am I doing here? I am not rippled with muscles. I don't even like football. Anybody that knew me could tell you that I was not the exact embodiment of school spirit.

Some of my anxieties were eased when I saw the cheerleaders. They were extremely friendly and cheerful. I gradually became comfortable and before I knew it, I was lifting girls by putting my hands on places I still cannot do without feeling uncomfortable. I became acquainted with various stunts and many painful physical sensations involved with cheerleading.

Although the cheerleaders could not tell, I was having a lot of fun. I guess my embarrassed look on my face hid it well.

My previous conceptions of cheerleaders are mostly gone. I have nothing but admiration and respect for cheerleaders. Their tolerance for rude crowds is one of the most amazing things. During the away game at Holy Cross this fall, I remember one Holy Cross fan sitting in front of us in the Dartmouth section and starting a shouting match with the squad. Every time we would do a cheer, he would yell something to confuse or distract us. He even brought his kids and taught them to shout insulting words to our faces. I had the urge to run into the bleachers and deck him. To my surprise, the cheerleaders were unfazed and remained very professional. My respect for them went up one notch.

Cheerleaders are tough. Despite their innocent smiles, I think they can beat up an average Dartmouth student and do a cheer about the beating they gave without breaking a sweat. After few weeks of practice, my shoulders were bruised, and I discovered abrasions on them. My elbow and wrist felt like they were broken.

I remember accidents during practice, ranging from mild concussions to blood flowing from the cuts in their mouths. I can recall girls getting kicked in the mouth, hit in the face, crashing to the floor accompanied by sickening sounds and headbutting each other after stunts have gone awry. These girls are tough and can endure pain ... I wouldn't want to meet them in a dark alley.

For me, I am still learning. Every time I mess up or I accidentally hurt someone or get hurt myself, I am showered with words of encouragement. I think that a big reason to do this is the people on the squad. I don't think I have ever met more spirited, resilient and dedicated people in my life. And I am proud to be one of them.