A Call to Arms

Last spring, I met a Dartmouth alumnus from the class of 1944 who told me a wonderful story. After many of the veterans, including himself, returned from the war to complete their education, the town of Hanover got the idea that since the students comprised a greater percentage of the town population than local residents, it was passing up a huge revenue source by not taxing them. While I'm unclear on the details of the law, the town apparently decided to impose a tax on the students. The students decided they might as well take an active role in the Hanover government, and soon they had rammed legislation through the town government which required that a four hundred-foot tower, one inch on a side and constructed of toothpicks, be erected on the Green at town expense. Needless to say, the town quickly repealed the offensive tax. The details of this tale are somewhat sketchy, and it may be a fabrication, but it demonstrates a willingness to fight the system in a creative and constructive manner.

I bring up this story not only because it's entertaining, but because it should teach Dartmouth students a lesson. Last spring, while I was five hundred miles away, Dartmouth Dining Services announced that henceforth all undergraduates would be required to fork over in excess of $800 in DBA per term. While the SA talked DDS down to a more reasonable figure, for most Dartmouth students, DDS still holds more than four hundred dollars hostage each term.

While I don't believe this is an acceptable state of affairs, and I have no intention of letting it stand without a fight, we are stuck with the situation for now. As long as we are required to eat at DDS, which purport to be business establishments, why don't we demand the service we would expect from any other dining establishment?

I am proposing that Dartmouth students become a big thorn in the side of Dartmouth Dining Services. I'm not suggesting any sort of organized mass protest, whereby we all stand around in front of Thayer Hall yelling slogans, nor am I suggesting that Dartmouth students demand outlandish food choices like ostrich, as amusing as that would be. What I am suggesting is that if you find yourself paying more for an item than you would elsewhere or getting service which isn't up to par, don't complain about it to your friends. Complain to DDS! Make a big stink about it. Demand to see the manager. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, blitz his supervisor.

Let me use the Lone Pine Tavern as an example. How many times have you gone to Lone Pine and waited forever for your food, or received something you didn't order, or gotten your appetizers when you got your meal? How many times has your food come cold, or your server forgotten your order? You wouldn't put up with this service at Murphy's, a comparable establishment -- why should you put up with it here?

Why not talk to a manager? I'm not sure what the command structure is, but I have dealt with one of them in the past and found him very helpful. Don't be rude; just point out your problem and see what happens. Either the problem will be solved, and you've won a small victory, or you'll have more ammunition, and you should take it to his supervisor.

I'm not suggesting that you be a jerk, especially at the lower levels; these people are not the problem and are often sympathetic. You should be polite and firm in your demand for better service, and you may be pleasantly surprised. If not, you now hold the moral high ground and can make your demands more strident at higher levels where the problem lies.

And let me make a positive suggestion. If you want service comparable to Murphy's, you need to treat the employees as you would at Murphy's. Most Dartmouth students do not tip at Lone Pine, because they're in the habit of putting everything on their ID. You're presented with a unique opportunity here. You can use tips as they were originally intended -- to ensure better service. If you were satisfied with your service, throw down a dollar; if not, leave a penny. You'll be surprised how fast service improves.

Remember that DDS has taken away your major trump, the right to withhold your business. However, you still have a decent hand; you have the ability to make a lot of noise and to create a big enough disturbance that the administration may actually pay attention to the students for a change. Stranger things have happened.