Over the Weekend

MEN'S RUGBY: Winger Dave Miller '98 and lock Drew Gardner '00 each scored two tries to lead Dartmouth to a 45-17 win over Amherst. The victory sets up a showdown with Northeastern at Sachem Field next Saturday for the New England championship.

The DRFC is now 6-0 in the New England Premier League and 8-1-1 on the season.

WOMEN'S TENNIS: The Dartmouth women's tennis team knocked off Seton Hall, 5-3, to finish seventh in the ITA Championships over the weekend at Yale. The first five singles players all captured wins in that match.

On Friday afternoon, Dartmouth lost to No. 2 Boston College and Yale by a combined three games.

The doubles play was strong against Yale as both the No.1 and No. 2 teams beat the Bulldogs.

CROSS-COUNTRY:The Dartmouth cross country teams kicked off the championship season Friday afternoon, competing in the New England Championships on Boston's Franklin Park.

The Dartmouth men placed second out of 36 teams, as the Big Green's first four runners ran in a tight pack. Brown won the title with 55 points, while Dartmouth finished with 90 and Boston College placed third with 118.

Ryan Padilla '00 led four Big Green runners across the tape in a matter of nine seconds, placing 10th overall in 24:27.

The 10th-ranked Big Green women, meanwhile, finished third, losing only to No. 5 Providence and No. 15 Boston College. The Lady Friars scored 45 points, while the Eagles recorded 66 points and Dartmouth had 73. UNH was a distant fourth with 144 points.