A Search for Silence

When I was in middle school we used to have a part of the day called silent student elective reading. This time of the day was equivalent to nap time in Kindergarten (or college) and I loved being able to relax with a favorite book of mine. I think in the fifth grade I was still interested in Judy Blume books, TigerEyes and Are You There God, It's Me Margaret?

Today I thought that I would give myself some private reading time, only in Descartes and Philip Roth instead of Judy Blume. So I walked into the Baker library this afternoon hoping to find myself a perfect little corner for reading and reflection. I thought I had found this special space in the Reference room, but I was soon made aware of my error in judgment. I sat at the single desk and kicked off my shoes and looked out of the window. If I study for two solid hours, then I can spend the rest of the afternoon outside," I bargained to myself as I watched the colorful leaves drop to the ground. I opened my book and started to read.

But then I was distracted by this awful whining sound coming from inside the library. I think that it is the revolving door found inside Baker near the computer cluster by the reserve corridor. It sounded like an old rustic swingset that I used to play with at the Jersey shore. And it echoed all the way to my perfect corner in the Reference room. I tried to not let it bother me, but I was unsuccessful. I decided to go back to my apartment on West Wheelock Street, but as I turned the corner from Collis, I realized that the construction was in full gear and I would not get any quiet there either. All I kept thinking was that this was not the year to be living on West Wheelock. Next I walked back to the green to find a quiet spot by the library but not in the library. I had just begun to get into my text when I heard an incredibly loud jackhammer. "Hey, it's almost 4:30, aren't they almost done for the day," I thought to myself, remembering the Webster Hall Special Collections library construction as well. I wasn't having much luck finding a quiet spot to finish my Descartes. I was beginning to think, "I think, therefore I am a student and I need a quiet place to study."

At this point I had already spent over an hour and a half trying to study and I had not been that successful. I had one last spot to try, one place on this campus where I knew that I could most likely be assured of a quiet spot to embrace Philosophy and Philip Roth, and if I felt like I had enough energy left over, some Art History. I looked around to make sure that no one would follow me to my secret place. I grabbed and backpack and made a mad dash hoping to not run into anyone on the way so that I wouldn't have to explain to where I was headed.

The upshot of my story is that when I finally arrived at my secret study spot I was too tired to even crack open my books. I threw down my backpack and converted it into a pillow and fell asleep. When I awoke, it was late, and I needed to get home. "Quite the unexpected adventure," I murmered to myself as I wiped the dirt of my jeans; next time, I think I'll just stick to buying earplugs!