Beta trustees reject College's lease bid

The Beta Theta Pi trustees recently rejected the College's bid to lease the now-vacant house at 6 Webster Avenue.

Eight months after the College forced members of the now derecognized Beta fraternity to vacate the house, the Beta trustees still do not know who will eventually occupy the house. The newly affiliated Alpha Xi Delta sorority also submitted a bid, which is still pending.

Beta Advisor Bill Glos '58 said the Beta alumni corporation will not make a final decision on the future occupants of the house until sometime in September.

The Beta house, which has been vacant since the College derecognized the organization in December, will remain empty for at least another term. In the meantime, the house will undergo renovations during the Fall term to prepare the house for tenants in the winter.

Glos said there are "definitely interested parties" discussing the lease offer with the Beta trustees, although he would not release the names of the parties.

In the spring, the Beta alumni corporation invited numerous parties, including the College, to lease the house at a price of $5,000 a month.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said the College made the Beta corporation an offer on the house, but the offer was rejected last week.

Pelton said he did not know what the College's next steps might be or whether or not they would attempt to submit another offer to the corporation.

Pelton told The Dartmouth in December that if the Beta corporation offered to sell the house, the College would attempt to buy it.

The Beta alumni corporation has no intention of selling the house, Glos said. The lease will only be temporary until the Trustees and the College can find a way to reinstate Beta.

Alpha Xi Delta sorority also received an invitation to lease the house. President Jil Carey '99 said the sorority submitted a lease proposal to the Beta trustees before their reorganization from local Delta Pi Omega sorority into Alpha Xi Delta earlier this term.

Alpha Xi Delta House Manager Michelle Glander '99 said the sorority has not heard whether or not their offer was accepted by the Beta corporation.

Glander said the sisters of Alpha Xi Delta are hopeful and "really excited" about the prospect of temporarily acquiring the former Beta house.

Glos previously told The Dartmouth that the Beta corporation decided to lease the house because maintaining the house had become a financial drain.

The College revoked Beta's recognition following violations of the fraternity's terms of suspension.

Former members are paying the Beta Trustees thousands of dollars for damages they caused to the house after learning of the College's decision.