Men's tennis ends season

MEN'S TENNIS: Dartmouth's strength in men's tennis had been its depth -- this spring, the Nos. 4 through 6 singles had compiled a 50-13 record. And after yesterday's NCAA East Regional first round match at Harvard, Big Green coach Chuck Kinyon acknowledged, "we match up well with them at the bottom of the ladder, not at the top."

Unfortunately, the Big Green never had a chance to prove him a prophet, as the host Crimson swept Dartmouth, 4-0, to earn a date with Miami in today's second round.

In a matchup of the Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis Association's co-champions, third-seeded Harvard received a battle by the sixth-seeded Big Green en route to its shutout win. The match was played indoors due to the inclement weather.

"To beat Harvard in their house is a tall order," said Kinyon. "But we played better today than we did last time (a 6-1 loss in Hanover on April 29). And we have everyone back, which bodes well for the future."

TRACK: Senior Alex Ghanotakis followed up Saturday's victory in the hammer with a win in the discus Sunday, propelling the Big Green men's track and field team to third place at the Heptagonal Championships.

Ghanotakis threw 182-7 in the discus after an NCAA qualifying throw of 206-4 in the hammer and was voted the Outstanding Male Performer of the Meet.

For the Dartmouth women, junior Jenna Rogers ran a strong 5,000 meters winning in 16:42.86 and outdueling rival Kate Talarico of Princeton in 16:54.18.

Rogers attempted to double in the 3,000 but finished third with 9:43.87.

Kelly Miller '00 was third in the discus with 138-4 while Sarah Jones '00 was sixth in the triple jump.

The women's were fifth with 53 points -- two ahead of Navy's 51 -- as Cornell regained the title with 127, a scant one-half point ahead of Princeton's 126.5.

Adam Nelson '97, winner of the shot put on Saturday, was runner-up to Ghanotakis in the discus.

Greg Johnston '99 competed only in the high jump because of a hamstring injury, but was second clearing 6-10 1/4. Defending champion Steve Clark '97 was fourth with 6-7.

After finishing third in the long jump on Saturday, Lane Burks '97 moved up a spot in the triple jump with 50-10 3/4.

Burks' leap of 24-7 in the long jump broke the Dartmouth record held by Don Blount, whose mark of 24-6 was set back in 1941.

On Saturday, Nelson became only the second athlete in Heps history to win four outdoor crowns in the shot. In Heps history, he joins Navy's Robert Sehnert (1988-91) as the only four-time champions at the outdoor meet.

The best showing for the women on Saturday came in the 10,000 meters where juniors Jessica King (36:28.11), Deirdre Milligan (36:36.87) and Emily Hodgson (36:43.55) went 2-3-4, earning 18 points for Dartmouth.