Concert celebrates world heritage

Professor Hafizz Shabazz directs the World Music Percussion Ensemble in their celebration of Latin American and Caribbean music in this evening's concert titled "Spring Carnival."

Featuring extremely recognizable rhythms such as the rumba, limbo, samba and mambo, reggae tunes such as Bob Marley's "I Shot the Sheriff" and Shabazz' own compositions, the high-energy closing concert of the WMPE promises to be nothing short of exhilarating.

Originally formed in 1981 as the West African Drumming Ensemble, the 21-musician group will shift its focus a bit with "Spring Carnival," using predominantly percussion and acoustic instruments native to Latin America and the Caribbean.

The concert is intended to celebrate the mixing of music and cultures that occurred as a result of the slave trade between Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean during the eighteenth century.

The legacy of these interacting cultures can be seen today in the music and practices of Latin American and Caribbean societies.

One of the highlights of the performance will be a percussive chant honoring Orgun and Ochun, deities of iron and love.

This religious practice illustrates how cultures have coalesced in the region, as the chant is the product of the unification of practices descending from the Yoruban people of Nigeria and the Lucumi of Cuba.

Despite the inclusion of certain religiously-oriented pieces, the concert promises to be vibrant and strongly centered around audience participation.

"It's really a big party," Shabazz said.

Audience members will be generally encouraged to participate in the performance, as well as being invited on stage to join in a Limbo contest.

Joining in the show is The Band, a five-piece ensemble which will play both in conjunction with and separately from the WMPE.

Tickets for the 8 p.m. performance in Spaulding Auditorium are $7 for general admission, $2 for Dartmouth students.