Upperclassmen's experience vs. freshmen's expectations

Although college guides may revere Winter Carnival as the quintessential Dartmouth celebration, many find the tradition does not live up to its hype.

For many students, Carnival's biggest attraction is a precious Friday devoid of class. It is a time to sleep, to study or a chance to visit friends at other schools.

Shirley Sperling '98 said she first heard about Carnival as a prospective, which created a "huge amount of expectation."

She heard a spectacular Carnival might offset what could be a cold and dreary New Hampshire winter.

But Winter Carnival is only a high point for certain types of people, Sperling said. "It lives up to [the hype] when your cup of tea is going to frats and drinking a lot," she said.

In contrast, the 1997 Fiske Guide to Colleges speaks glowingly of Dartmouth's 87-year old tradition.

"Of all the Dartmouth traditions, perhaps the best known is the Winter Carnival," according to the guide.

Carnival draws visitors from all over the Eastern Seaboard on a yearly basis, it states.

For some upperclassmen, these stories created a lot of expectation that ended in disappointment.

Shannon Beckering '97 has missed Carnival twice for volleyball but still feels that Carnival weekend was a letdown.

"It was just the one I heard the most about," Beckering said. "The other weekends were really a lot more fun."

Onieka Fraser '98 said Carnival was not as fun as advertised.

"I actually find Green Key to be the most fun, partly because it's not so cold," Fraser said. "You want to go out and do more activities in the spring."

Kevin McCart '97 agreed that Green Key is more fun than Winter Carnival.

"I think that Winter Carnival is a big weekend, but it doesn't get as overcrowded as Homecoming and Green Key," he said.

Some students are disappointed with the lack of a central, inclusive activity.

Schuyler Hedstrom '99 said he felt Winter Carnival is unlike Homecoming, where there were huge group activities. He said he did not feel encouraged to participate.

People may just like Carnival for the three day weekend and parties and not for the sports, he added.

"Maybe some people would rather sleep than go out into the cold," Hedstrom said.

But for others, the long weekend is held dear for different reasons.

"I think it is great that the administration gives us an extra day off to drink and party," said Nicole Weinreb '97.

Despite some students having little recollection of past Carnivals, there are others for whom the three day weekend holds unique memories.

"I am never going to forget Winter Carnival my freshman year," said Julie Kim '98. The sculpture "was supposed to be a howling wolf, but it ended up melting into this phallic symbol."

Alyssa Mocharnuk '99 met a good friend at the weekend's basketball game against Princeton last year.

"We had a friend in common at Princeton and we ended up partying together all weekend," said Mocharnuk. "She's been my best friend ever since."

But members of the Class of 2000 seem to be uninformed of what they are getting into.

"I know nothing about it," said Alex Buzik '00. "I just heard that it is like a big festival."

Paul Butler '00 was just as knowledgeable.

"I saw one kid from my school wearing a tee-shirt from it," Butler said. "I don't have a clue about what goes on."

But freshman are not completely ignorant about Carnival. Dave Schleicher '00, like many others, first heard about Winter Carnival from alumni and older relatives.

Schleicher said his great-uncle went to Dartmouth and used to tell him about his Winter Carnival dates.

"Most of it was him winking because my aunt was in the room," Schleicher said.

Veterans of the old days of Carnival seem to be a source of information for many freshmen. Sara Largay '00 said many adults regaled her with stories about how they went to Carnival.

"They didn't even go to Dartmouth or even to college, but they went to Carnival," Largay said. Largay said she doesn't really have any expectations for the big weekend.

For many freshmen, Carnival weekend should be their first experience at a Greek-sponsored open party during the big weekends.

Keith Corl '00 said he went to fraternities during Homecoming -- despite the ban against freshmen -- so Winter Carnival should be no different for him.

"If you know someone, they will let you in," he said.

Ryan Sheehan '00 also went to fraternities in the fall but is relieved he will no longer have to rely on subterfuge to get in.

"You might have had to get a little sneaky first term ... now we don't have to do that," he said.

For Dartmouth Ski Team member Stan Weinberger '98, Winter Carnival holds a different significance. Weinberger said that he thinks of Carnival as the origin of one of the first intercollegiate ski races.

He added that each college in the eastern region also holds their own carnival as part of the ski circuit.

"I love Winter Carnival," Weinberger said. "I think of it as a showcase for the ski team, as the big home meet."

Winter Carnival has no bonfire like Homecoming or lawn parties like Green Key, but many students have been working to make it memorable and unique in more ways than just the snow sculpture.

Kim Papa '97, publicity chair for the Winter Carnival Committee, said the committee planned events to involve all students.

"We felt that there was nothing central," Papa said. She said the committee created an outdoor afternoon to be held on Friday with skiing, sledding, skating on the pond, a big fire and sleigh rides.

Papa said during her freshman winter she did not see the fun in going out to help with the sculpture but soon discovered it was fun to get involved.