Carnival Council helps restore old traditions

From building the "snowy knight" sculpture on the Green to planning the many activities this weekend offers, the Winter Carnival Council members have an extensive agenda, but they do not seem to mind.

Amy Henry '97, co-chair of the council, said she enjoys having the opportunity to interact with many people to work on carnival traditions -- new and old.

The council has been working since last spring to plan this year's activities and surpass the successes of past carnivals.

The council's approximately 30 members meet regularly all term to make Winter Carnival a reality.

The tasks of the council included selecting a theme -- which is "Twas a Cold and Stormy Knight: A Medieval Carnival" this year -- and choosing the poster, T-shirt and snow sculpture designs which encompass this theme.

The group is also responsible for meeting with other organizations about planning their Carnival events.

Henry said the excitement of Winter Carnival seems to have faded over the past few years and the council members hope to revive its spirit.

This year's council aims to emphasize outdoor events in the carnival, she said. "I think the Winter Carnival epitomizes what people think of Dartmouth -- it's the tradition, the celebration of outdoor sports."

To renew the connection the Winter Carnival Council once had with the DOC, the two organizations are sponsoring a new event on Saturday, the Medieval Feast. The council has also planned an afternoon of outdoor activities today at Occom Pond.

The snow sculpture, which collapsed yesterday while it was still under construction, will be another attraction this weekend. The group has been planning the sculpture since December.

Chris Aslin '97, sculpture co-chair, said the sculpture project is exciting as it draws people outside into the winter weather.

Aslin said his involvement in council stems from his wish that people will find enjoyment in the winter at Dartmouth.

"I hear so many people complaining, or going off-campus because the winters are so cold and boring," he said.

Aslin has been involved in the council for three years and said he has seen much improvement in its structure. He said the council was once much smaller, with about five members, and less organized.

"Now that we have a good system set up, things can continue to run smoothly in future years," Aslin said.

Kim Papa '97, publicity chair, gets the word out about the activities the council plans and recruits members through posters, mailings and e-mail messages.

Papa said her involvement in the council her sophomore year showed her what a great tradition Winter Carnival is and she decided to play a larger role in this year's council.

Chris Carbone '97, sculpture co-chair, also said he enjoys the opportunity to be a part of a tradition.

"Carnival has a great tradition about it, something that I like to tap into and make my own," he said.