Men's hoops poised for Harvard

The men's basketball team entered the 1996-97 season with high expectations and so far it has not disappointed as the Big Green have jumped out to an impressive 9-2 (1-0 Ivy) record.

For the seniors on this Big Green squad the smell of such victory is particularly sweet, for it was the 1997 class three years ago that experienced the slow 1-12 start their freshman year.

"We are just really excited about where we are at," Captain Sea Lonergan '97 said. "For us to have turned it around from our freshman year is exciting. We are really playing well together, and that's what it is all about."

With one of its best starts in years, Dartmouth will look to hold on to its momentum as it prepares for three Ivy League match-ups in the next five days.

Tonight at home the Big Green battle the Harvard Crimson, the only Ivy team Dartmouth has played already once this season. In the two teams' Dec. 17 the Big Green prevailed 69-60 on Crimson turf.

The Crimson will look to senior forward Kyle Snowden, an All-Ivy first team selection last year, to get on the boards quick. He is aided in the backcourt by sophomore Tim Hill who was last year's Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

"Kyle Snowden has proven to be a great player, especially off the boards," Lonergan said. "I think early on there will be a real battle on the boards, and if we can win that battle, it will be a big help."

Dartmouth will look to its senior leadership to counter these two Crimson forces. Standout Lonergan has picked up just where he left off last season.

So far, Lonergan has racked in 190 total points, averaging 17.3 per game and shooting above the 50 percent mark in field goals.

In Dartmouth's December win over Harvard, Lonergan scored 19. He was followed by the Big Green's second leading scorer, Brian Gilpin '97 who scored 15 against Harvard and is averaging 11.6 points per game.

Guards P.J. Halas '98 and Kenny Mitchell '97 have also proven to be scoring forces, averaging 10.4 and 9.0 points per game, respectively.

With this talent, and the fact that the Big Green have yet to lose a game this season in Leede Arena (4-0 at home), Dartmouth should be the strong favorite heading in to tonight's game.

"Harvard is really good at scouting, so we're going to try and throw some different stuff at them," Lonergan said. "We want to concentrate on playing our game though. It's going to be a battle, and we have to go after it."

Last season, the home Harvard match was a disappointment for the Big Green. After winning an early game 70-61 game at Harvard, Dartmouth was devastated by a 59-40 loss later in the season. The 40 points was the second lowest score the Big Green posted all last season.

But the Big Green have carefully planned that come 7:30 p.m. tonight, they will be ready to play.

"I think we've learned from that experience," Lonergan said. "We feel good right now at our home gym with our crowd behind us."

Over break, the Big Green were on a mission. They were out to show the Ivy League and all its spectators that this year they were the team to beat. Mission accomplished.

Entering winter break the Big Green were 4-1 after posting wins over Colgate, Lafayette, Wagner and Holy Cross. Their record was blemished by a 62-60 loss to St. Peter's College at the Summit Bank Classic over Thanksgiving Break.

During break, Dartmouth first overcame Harvard and then continued to dominate as the Big Green downed Navy 77-63 behind 18 points from Lonergan and Mitchell. Halas shot in 14 points of his own.

At the MVP Holiday Classic Dec. 29-30 the Big Green men speared Buffalo 64-44 before falling the next day to Toledo 85-73.

Against Buffalo, Lonergan scored a season high 24 points in the game, while Halas tallied 13 and Gilpin followed with 10. Toledo was able to somewhat silence the Big Green scoring machine, however, as Lonergan was held to 14 the next night. Halas led the scoring with 16 and Mitchell followed closely with 15.

While the loss to Toledo was disappointing, the Big Green did not play poorly. They were simply outplayed, as Toledo shot around 65 percent from the field and was on its home court.

The Big Green entered the New Year with another strong statement, a 81-61 win over Middlebury. While the Division 3 Middlebury was not expected to be much of a contest, the game did feature a unique rivalry as Coach Dave Faucher faced his two sons, freshman Joey and sophomore Mike Faucher.

While the two Fauchers scored 35 of Middlebury's 61 points, they were unable to make the contest close, as father most fittingly prevailed.

Lonergan again led the scoring with 18 points. Freshman Shaun Gee came off the bench to score an impressive 17 points in his 18 minutes of play. Averaging 6.5 points per game, Gee has proven that he is a rookie ready for action.

With winter break behind them, the Big Green must now look forward to a lengthy Ivy League season during which Dartmouth will play each Ivy team twice.

While today Crimson is on the mind's of the Big Green men, thinking in the future is inevitable as Dartmouth takes to the road Friday for a game Cornell and then travels on to face Columbia Saturday night.

While these two teams were not strong forces in the League last season, placing sixth and last, respectively, Dartmouth can not overlook either, as any minor slip up could cost the team an Ivy League title.

"Right now we feel so comfortable out there," Lonergan said. "We feel comfortable in our team, in ourselves and in our coach. We just need to step it up each game."

Tip off tonight against Harvard is 7:30 p.m. in Leede Arena.