Early applications see 5 percent rise

The number of early applicants to the College rose 5 percent this year, about at par with increases at other colleges.

Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Karl Furstenberg said 1,310 students applied early for admission to Dartmouth's Class of 2001.

The College plans to admit about 375 to 400 students early.

The female to male ratio in early decision applicants is about the same as last year, Furstenberg said.

This year, 715 applicants were male and 595 were female.

In 1995, of 1,247 students who applied early, 675 were men and 572 were women.

Furstenberg said because of recent media attention surrounding early applications to colleges, he expected to see a early applications rise by more than 5 percent.

Furstenberg said Harvard University, Yale University and Williams College all experienced about a 5 percent increase in early applications.

"The speculation was that there would be a huge surge in applying early, which didn't materialize," Furstenberg said. "I think that's a good thing; students are being sensible to which colleges they are applying to and they're not just doing it to beat the system."

Admissions officers are now in the process of reading the early decision applications.

"We hope to mail the notifications by the 10th of December, so that students who are not admitted will have time to pursue other applications," he said.