Women's soccer team overcomes Hartford

What are the odds that a fading 1-8 soccer team can stop a streaking 4-1 squad that's hot off a milestone victory? And what are the odds that a 1974 Pinto can outrun a Porshe 911? In either case, the odds are the same -- slim to none.

Yesterday, the women's soccer team proved the odds correct, as the Big Green crushed the Hartford Hawks 4-1 in a night game at the University of Hartford.

Dartmouth got things started 15 minutes into the match when Katie Hearey '99 scored her first career goal off a Holly Thomas '97 pass up the middle. The Big Green held their one-goal lead through the first half.

Hartford evened the score five minutes into the second half as the Hawk's Lauren Kulman pounded an Amy Salomon cross into the Big Green net.

But the tie was shortlived, as the Big Green surged through the Hawks defense to launch three unanswered goals through the Hartford posts.

A minute after Kulman's goal, Jenna Kurowski '97 put the Big Green back on top with a ricochet rocket off a Hawks defender that rolled past goalie Danielle Rotondi.

Then Melissa scored. Then Melissa scored.

Melissa McBean '97 upped the Dartmouth lead to two with an unassisted shot from past the 18. Eight minutes later, Melissa Roth '99 sent the Hawks keeper sprawling one last time to seal the Big Green victory.

Sophomore Carrie Bourdon had two saves during her 80 minutes in goal, while junior Annie Eckstein punched away one shot in the closing minutes.

Now 5-1 and riding a four game win-streak, the Big Green are set to take on Ivy challenger Brown in Providence on Sunday.