Rugby team defeats Univ. of Connecticut

The Dartmouth men's rugby team defeated the University of Connecticut Huskies last Saturday at Sachem Field.

Led by captain Torbjorn Dimblad '97, Dartmouth went out to a 17-3 lead over UConn in the first 15 minutes of the match and cruised to an easy 44-9 win.

The victory leaves Dartmouth undefeated in the New England Premier League in their quest for a third consecutive New England Championship.

Fullback Mikael Morn '97 led the team in scoring with 24 points on a try, three penalties and five conversions. Winger Jeff Woods '97 scored two tries for the second consecutive week.

Morn kicked his first penalty six minutes into the game. Two minutes later, flanker Kevin Whitcher '99 stole a UConn lineout. Center Greg Smith '97 ran into the gap and passed to fullback Morn on a fill. Morn drew the defender and dished to Woods for the score. Morn converted making the score 10-3.

At the 13 minute mark, hooker Ty Tengan '97 caught a UConn drop out and set a ruck. Scrumhalf Doug Burnaford '98 ran into the gap and threw a long pass to Woods for the score. Morn converted for a 17-3 lead.

Early in the second quarter, Dartmouth scored on a perfectly executed back row play. Co-Captain Pete Martin '97 fed scrumhalf Burnaford from the base of the scrum. Burnaford drew in the opposing halfbacks and slipped the ball to Captain Dimblad for the score, making it 24-3. UConn kicked a penalty just before the half to close to 24-6.

Morn kicked a penalty midway through the second half to go to 27-9. In the final quarter, the Dartmouth forwards won a ruck and Burnaford sent the ball down the line to winger Craig Whitmer '97 who crashed in for the try. Morn kicked another penalty. From a Dartmouth scrum, six players handled the ball and Morn scored the final try to make it 44-9.

Dartmouth travels to Boston University Saturday for a league match.