Rockapellas kick off term with super tunes

In case you missed the commotion last week when the Rockapellas were selling CDs in the lobby of the Hopkins Center, you should know that the album marks a great achievement for campus a cappella.

The new Rockapellas album, "Think on These Things," is packed with familiar songs that have been excellently adapted to the a cappella style.

These 20 songs represent a rich and diverse array of musical styles embedded with a social consciousness.

In this, their eighth year as one of the campus' premier female singing groups, (and third CD), the "Rocks," as the girls have dubbed themselves, have maintained their pledge to "combine music with messages of social awareness" as their liner-note credo states.

At the beginning of every term, the Rockapellas come together, each with suggestions for songs to add to their repertoire.

Afterwards, they vote to decide which tunes will be featured in their musical line-up for the term.

The tunes can be divided into two distinct groups -- "freedom songs" and "oldies," the latter of which defines the overall tone of the CD.

The "oldies" section is comprised of a diverse selection of fun songs ranging from The Bangles' "Walk like an Egyptian," Dusty Springfield's "Preacherman" and Alanis Morissette's "Hand In my Pocket." All are certified sing-alongable.

Ordinarily packed with energy, these songs are amplified by crisp, clear voices, brilliant adaptation and a superb quality of recording.

The "Pulp Fiction" soundtrack hit "Preacherman" by Dusty Springfield is a good example of how the group managed to preserve, even amplify, the emotion in these songs. Jennifer Tudder '97 does an excellent job of leading the women in this soulful song.

Jessica Russo '97, a Rockapella who solos on Natalie Merchant's "Carnival," said the "freedom songs" on this album "reflect one of the purposes of our group that makes us stand out from the rest."

She added, "We sing songs about issues on this campus that we feel are necessary to bring out into the open."

A great rendition of "Luka" by Suzanne Vega that probes the issue of domestic abuse, and Ani DiFranko's "Gratitude," which innocently confronts the situation of unwanted sexual contact between friends, are examples of songs about such social issues.

Such songs poignantly present issues which are embedded deep in the Rocks -- and their repertoires.

When testing out this CD, skip directly to track eight, and bathe in one of the best songs on the Album, the Marvin Gaye Classic "Sexual Healing."

The Rocks are actively showing off their talent all over campus -- they recently performed at the Culture Shock show and will host the annual Fall Fling this weekend.

The group seems eager to show off the voices of their two new freshman members -- Megan Jennings and Brenda Withers.