Over 100 students board bus to Manchester to hear Clinton speech

Manchester -- Almost 200 Dartmouth students toting "Dartmouth loves Bill" and "Bill helped me pay for college" signs boarded buses and headed to Manchester yesterday afternoon to attend a campaign rally for President Bill Clinton.

Standing beneath a huge wooden sign of a covered bridge and the words, "Building America's Bridge to the 21st Century," Clinton told the crowd education will be his top priority if re-elected.

"We have got to unite in education and make American the education capital of the world," he said.

After announcing his proposal for a tax credit of up to $10,000 a year to aid families in paying for the first two years of college, Clinton asked the audience of thousands, "Will you help me open the doors of college education to every person of college age in America?"

Huge American flags and banners emblazoned with the now familiar democratic campaign theme, "Building the Bridge to the 21st Century," transformed the football stadium where the speech was given into a political arena.

Even the stadium's athletic scoreboard was converted into a "debate scoreboard," which revealed that Clinton was leading "the other guy" zero to one after Sunday's debate.

Clinton delivered the speech at a podium erected in the center of the field. The Clinton-Gore campaign provided Dartmouth students with "priority viewing" tickets that entitled them to stand in the field itself, the area closest to the president.

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Jean Shaheen introduced Clinton to the crowd. Echoing the cries of the Dartmouth students standing closest to the podium, she reiterated, "We love you, Bill!"

"After last night, we are so proud of you," she added, referring to the president's performance in Sunday's presidential debate.

After discussing education, Clinton also promised to work diligently to improve the environment if re-elected.

We must continue to clean up the environment "so our children can play next to parks, not poison," he said.

Clinton said he was indebted to New Hampshire voters for entrusting him with the presidency four years ago and pleaded for their support in the upcoming election.

"I can never thank you all for what you have done for me, my family and my administration," he said. "If it weren't for you, I wouldn't be here."

Clinton said he was the first president since New Hampshire native and former president Franklin Pierce to visit the state of New Hampshire every year of his presidency.

"Our best days are still ahead," Clinton concluded. "Will you help me build the bridge to the 21st century?"

"I hope that you, in one month and one day, and all American people like you make the decision to stay on the same path," he added.

As Gloria Estefan's "Get on Your Feet" blared through the stadium's speakers signaling the end of Clinton's speech, throngs of enthusiastic supporters flooded towards the podium in hopes of reaching the president.

Others lingered behind, dancing to the music and waving red and blue "Clinton/Gore '96" and "Role Hemp '96" posters in the air.

Kimberly DiTomasso '97, who succeeded in shaking the president's hand after his speech, described the experience as "absolutely amazing."

"It was the best experience," she said. "It was one of the best events I ever attended in my life. It was amazing."

"I had a really incredible time," Adi Herzberg '00 said. "It was really great."

The president's performance drew mixed reviews from other Dartmouth students.

Kate Ryan '00 said she enjoyed the speech but criticized it as "too broad."

Scott Burns '97, who organized the busing of Dartmouth students to the event and distribution of tickets to them, said "Dartmouth had the largest presence at the event than any other university."

New Hampshire State Senator Daniel Valianti told The Dartmouth it was the "best crowd" he has ever seen at a political rally.

"The way they were enthusiastic and screaming and yelling -- it was great," he said.

Democratic congressional candidate Arnie Arneson told The Dartmouth, "It was amazing, electric -- there was such energy."

Dartmouth students attending the event ranged from avid Clinton supporters to students looking to improve their knowledge of the presidential candidate.

Morgan Faust '00 said she decided to attend the event because the president is a family friend. Faust said her stepfather, John Isaacson '68, was a Rhodes scholar with Clinton at Oxford.

Nathan Chaney '00 said he decided to attend the speech because he is undecided over whom to vote for in the upcoming election.

Matt Kruger '00 said he "doesn't like Clinton too much," but decided to attend the speech because he "has never seen a president before and just wanted to see him."

Burns said he was contacted by the Clinton/Gore campaign about a week ago and asked if he would be interested in helping bus Dartmouth students to the event

"Two years ago, it looked like Democrats would never win again in New Hampshire. Now the state has done a complete u-turn, and it looks like we could have a wonderful year for Democrats," Burns said.

"I wouldn't want to look back and not know I couldn't have done everything I could," he added.