Men's ice hockey begins season

The Big Green men's hockey team opens its 1996-97 campaign on Sunday at 3:00 p.m. at Thompson Arena with an exhibition game against the University of Ottwa. With 22 returning letterwinners from a squad that finished last season at 7-20-3, the Big Green has high aspirations for this year.

Coach Roger Demment is looking for the team to iron out a few wrinkles and play solidly as a unit on Sunday.

One of Dartmouth's strengths lies in its depth at goalie -- where the Big Green return starter Scott Baker '97, the number one goalie in the Ivy League last year, and Ben Heller '97, whose 26 save performance in the final regular season game against Brown, helped propel the Big Green into the ECAC playoffs. In addition, two freshmen, Jason Wong and Eric Almon, have looked good in net during practice.

Another strong point for the Big Green is their exceptional depth at forward. This has allowed Demment to create four scoring lines, where in the past the Big Green has only relied on one or two lines to light the lamp.

The two leading scorers from last season, David Whitworth '98 and Bill Keleher '96 will be the sparkplugs of the first two lines.

"We are going into this game looking for more offense, without letting up on team defense," Demment said. "This game will serve as a barometer check to see where we are after 10 days of practice and to see if things are going well before the Army game."

The Big Green seemed equally adept at the defensive end of the ice, until Shane Ness '98 suffered a compound fracture of his left arm in practice. The loss of Ness, perhaps Dartmouth's best defensive player, forced a reworking of the lineup.

Demment said the Big Green will call on Ryan Burkart '99, to step up and fill Ness's skates, pairing him with Owen Hughes '97.

"Ryan has shown to be a solid, defensive, defenseman skills in practice," Demment said. "He knows how to go out there and make the simple play, and he is a good match for the more offensively minded Hughes."

Hughes is willing to adapt to the situation, however.

"As always, defense is a priority for our team, and I simply hope to fulfill whatever role is necessary," Hughes said. "Whether it be on defense or offense, goals and assists are not always the key to being a successful contributor."

This season's captain will be Brent Retter '97. The bruising forward finished last season with a flourish, netting two goals against Harvard on March 1 in a Big Green win.

"Brent has a multifaceted, complete role as captain on this team," Demment said. "He leads by example on the ice, and he will step up in the locker room and lead with words as well."

Retter said, "This is the most focused and tight Dartmouth team to suit up for years. All I have to do is play my game, and bring intensity and hard work to the rink each day."

Retter would also like to change opposing team's perceptions of Big Green hockey and Thompson Arena.

"After each home game we'd like nothing more than to have run the score up on the opposition and hand ice packs out to them as they limp out of the rink," Retter said. "In the past teams loved playing in Thompson Arena. This team is going to change that and bring back the tradition of the Dartmouth hockey of the 70s when they were dominant. We want to make Thompson a place other teams dread playing in."

The teams Dartmouth would like to instill the most fear in include Vermont, ranked number two in the nation, as well as St. Lawrence, Colgate and Harvard. Dartmouth begins regular season play Nov. 1 at home against Army.

"This is a very close-knit group of players who really have made it their mission to be the best Dartmouth team in recent years," Demment said.