Freshmen debut in 'Take Five'

Folk is once again finding a niche in popular culture. With the rise of new folk singers such as Dar Williams and the rediscovery of older artists such as Joan Baez, this musical form is making a comeback.

Yesterday's Top of the Hopkins Center performance, a concert of a dozen or so folk tunes by student musicians, served as a pleasant denouement to the chaotic festivities of Homecoming.

Kirstin Weeks '00 and Louisa Gilder '00 played a selection of folk tunes from the '60s, a time when folk music saw its greatest popularity and most talented composers and performers.

Both women performed on acoustic instruments without the aid of microphones or amplifiers. The music filled the voluminous arches of the Top of the Hop well.

Weeks was the first to perform, beginning with a volley of Simon and Garfunkel tunes. The freshmen showed considerable courage singing in a strange environment for people with whom they were not familiar.

Next she played the song that made Charles Manson famous -- "Blackbird" off of the Beatles' "White Album."

Although most of the songs were originally sung by men, Weeks did a splendid job vocally compensating.

Her alto voice was astoundingly low, often slipping into a range suitable for a tenor and even a baritone.

After playing "Dust in the Wind" by Kansas, Weeks performed an original piece without words on the guitar.

Her original piece gives evidence to a budding young folk talent.

Weeks also played "Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls and then a Crosby, Stills & Nash tune, ending on a slight off-beat and humorous note with the song that made Led Zeppelin famous, "Stairway to Heaven." Weeks' music was soothing and made for a pleasant end-of-the-week show.

Next to perform was Gilder. Gilder played a selection of Ian Tyson songs, and the soft ballads about California and flower children instantly transported the listener back to the '60s.

Following her performance of Ian Tyson tunes, Gilder played "Yesterday" by the Beatles and a selection of tunes by venerable artists such as Peter, Paul and Mary and Pete Seeger.

Most memorable was her rendition of "House of the Rising Sun," by Bob Dylan. Rather than playing the Animals' arrangement of this song, she played the original "unplugged" version, which is rarely listened to.

The two performed admirably for their first Dartmouth concert, and hopefully will soon be playing again.