Big Green sweep UVM: Soccer improves to 9-2

The women's soccer team was back in action yesterday afternoon at the University of Vermont. The Big Green continued their winning ways, as they downed the Catamonts 2-0.

Dartmouth took the lead with only six minutes remaining in the first half when Senior forward Melissa McBean scored off a Melissa Roth '00 cross.

"It was a pretty average game," McBean said. "I didn't think it was anything spectacular. I felt we played pretty well until the second half. We lost a little focus toward the end."

Despite this slight mental lapse, Dartmouth hung on to their early lead. At the 63:58 mark, Jenna Kurowski '97 took a cross from Christina Hallenbeck '97 and pounded in a goal past UVM goalkeeper Suzanne McAllister.

Dartmouth keeper Annie Eckstein '98 recorded four saves for her second shutout this season, while McAllister stopped 15 shots.

Dartmouth advanced to 9-2 with the win. After last week's win against national powerhouse, the University of Massachusetts, the Big Green earned a number 20 national ranking in the NSCAA poll.

The Dartmouth women take on Cornell at home this Saturday. The Big Red have been struggling this season, as they are 0-3 in the League. But last season, Dartmouth unexpectedly lost to the Cornell women, so the Green will be seeking revenge.

"They are usually pretty good," McBean said. "We're looking to beat them like any other team. It's another Ivy League game that we would like to check off."

Game time is 12:00 p.m. at Chase Field.