Field hockey overcomes inexperience

The 1996 field hockey team entered this season plagued with doubt and sheer inexperience. Having lost six starters to graduation and one senior tri-captain to a season-ending back injury, the Dartmouth women were suppose to enter a rebuilding stage.

But the rebuilding stage for the Big Green was short-lived, as several younger players have stepped up their play and disputed any doubt in this year's squad. In fact, the Big Green have played with the poise and confidence any well-seasoned, mature club would dream to have.

Last Saturday against Penn, the Big Green showed the Ivy League just what they were made of. In a 6-1 thrashing of the Quakers, Dartmouth played with an impressive amount of grit and determination which has now earned them much respect around the Ivy League.

But the Big Green are not limiting themselves to the Ivy League. They have proven to be a force to be reckoned with in the nation, too. Earlier this season, the Dartmouth women defeated Saint Louis University and Southwest Missouri before falling 3-2 in overtime to Northwestern -- a team ranked in the top ten in the nation.

"It was not a bad loss," Coach Julie Dayton said. "But still, to have the game within grasp and let it slip away is disappointing. It was a good team effort though."

The loss to Northwestern ended a nine-game winning streak that the Big Green carried beginning at the end of last season. This streak tied the Dartmouth field hockey all-time record for consecutive wins.

Last night, Dartmouth again fell in overtime to Boston College -- a top-ranked national team.

Thus far this season, though, the Big Green have remained strong both physically and mentally. The incoming freshman class has also been an added bonus for the Dartmouth women. Against Penn, the Big Green were led by Lauren Scopaz '00 who added a hat trick.

"The freshmen are very strong athletically," Dayton said. "They are adjusting very well, and we are pleased with that. We have a lot of flexibility in the players we have. We still are not totally settled in the positions."

The Big Green attack will be lead this season by Sarah Sedgwick '98, who scored six times for Dartmouth last season, and Weze Shorts '99, who had an impressive rookie season in '95.

Sarah Drake '97, Jen Karlen '98 and Emily Loudon '99 will add to the Big Green offense. Against Yale, Drake and Shorts both added in a goal apiece.

For leadership this season, Dartmouth will turn to the their three tri-captains -- Kelly Hannigan '97, Amber Morse '97 and Amy Yost '98. Although Morse is out all season with a back injury, she will look to inspire from the sideline, while Hannigan, who was second on last year's squad in scoring with 15 points, will use her midfield experience to boost the team forward.

Defensively, the Big Green return Lauren Worley '98 who will need to lead a group of players with less experience. In the goal, Kendra Kosko '98 has huge shoes to fill as she replaces last year's starting captain Lauren Demski '96.

While many of the names and faces may be new, the fact that Dartmouth field hockey symbolizes a dynasty of hard work and willingness to fight will remain unchanged. Count on these women to be in the hunt for the Ivy League title.